Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rudder shaft leak.

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the info.  We did quite a few miles from Majorca to 4 days out of Lanzarote…  about 2000 + I reckon…

I will include the big Nut in my 6 month maintenance.

Merry Xmas too.  Just off to celebrate with a dozen other friends … too much wine on hand; this will be painful :-)

Jean-Pierre Germain
Eleuthera, SM 007
In Marina du Fort, Guadeloupe.

On 24 Dec 2016, at 17:09, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi JP,

Congratulations on a successful passage, and Merry Christmas.

Our rudder post tends to develop a small leak about once a year, and about an eighth of a turn on the nut will stop it. We have new packing, but have not changed it since we bought the boat in 2014.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Martinique

On Dec 24, 2016, at 16:59, jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Merry Christmas Gang,

We arrived in Guadeloupe from Lanzarote. 7 days of slow slogging then 11 days of good progress.  Total 18 days 20 hours.

Our beauty held up fine and we only have a rail cleat to repair and a rudder post leak to stop... the latter is done already but the question is this: we changed the rudder packing in July and twice tightened the big nylon nut.  Worked sans leak from Majorca to Gib, Madeira and Lanzarote.  4 days out of Lanzarote, a small leak began... then got worse as we sailed west.  Nothing alarming but needing a drying up session every 2 hours at the end.  Do you do preventive "tightening" ... if so at how many miles?

Sea states were 5-6 and occasionally 7.  The hydraulic AP worked flawlessly throughout.

Posted by: Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...>