Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Rudder shaft leak.

Jean-Pierre Germain <jgermain@...>

Hi Kent and Eric,

We changed the packing in July. Been dry almost always.

One difficulty I have is the modified rudder bellcrank needed to accommodate the hyd AP DRIVE. Means I must place the boat in irons to dismantle the array. I outwaited the leak and fixed the issue in 30 mins once at the dock.

Comment on the hyd AP: works very well and is far more supple than the elec unit. If you ever consider such a mod, I am very pleased.

Cheers,

JPG ON ELEUTHERA
Guadeloupe

On 24 Dec 2016, at 19:07, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

As long as the nylon nut is not bottomed out you can just tighten  the nut  an 1/8th of a turn and all is well with the world.

If the nut is almost bottomed out I would replace the packing.

I would get the packing from Amel as it is cut perfectly.

I have a spare nut and a set of packing duct taped near the rudder post.

Worst case scenario you can change the packing while under way. You can definitely change the top 2 pieces and depending how low the stern is sitting possibly change all 3.

It is a pill to remove the packing. I use a narrow screwdriver to chisel the packing out.

Plan on having it leaking for a while until the packing becomes seated and absorbs a little water. I use molycote grease on the packing. I also had a wrench made that I use to tighten the nut while under way.

It was cut out of a piece of aluminum as thick as the flange of the nut and is short enough to turn without hitting any stringers.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376