Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Kent-vetus coupling

karkauai

Damn, Eric, I don't know.  I was sitting in the cockpit while the mechanic was doing the hands on work.
Kent

To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Monday, January 9, 2017 1:01 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Kent-vetus coupling

Did the coupling have a keyway in it?
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Monday, January 09, 2017 12:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Kent-vetus coupling

It came from Amel with the new C drive, Eric.  I didn't compare it closely with the old one, but they seemed to be the same.
Kent

From: "'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2017 11:55 PM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Kent-vetus coupling

When you installed your yanmar did you use a stock Vetus coupling or did you purchase it from Amel?
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 11:33 PM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Replacing Vetus Coupling Bolts

Hi Eric,
The coupling needs to fit a 35mm shaft.  The 60mm is what the coupling housing would go over and is the "hub" of the coupling.  Thought that bit of info might be helpful.  

Not sure if it pertains to your project but an earlier posting made me think that the stock Vetus couplings would not work for the later SMs with Yanmars.  It stated--from posting number 22356-- "Pat We have been down this road using the Standard Vetus coupling you describe. It does not fit. We ordered ours from Amel as they have a special build. The one in the catalog is approx. 5MM to long and it can not be shortened to make it fit. Paul & Susan LaFrance SV NOMAD SM#362". 

I'll include this for thread continuity on the replacement of the coupling bollts--Regarding my project to replace the bushings using bolts threaded at both ends, an email to Danny (with a Volvo engine) confirmed that he was able to replace the bolts by sliding the engine back, splitting the coupling, replacing the rubber bushings and then sliding the bolts through before reassembling the 2 coupling housings.  Interesting--he did this in Tonga and could not obtain the bushings so he carved come out of truck suspension bushings and they worked fine for several years, showing no wear when he replaced them with the Vetus bushings.

A question I still have is how the Vetus hub is removed from the shaft coming from the C drive (especially for the Yanmar era SMs).  Is it removed by drilling out a pin in the hub? Any gurus out there with an answer?

I plan to post some pic of our bushing replacement project one I have the bushings and can complete the project.

Bob, KAIMI
SM 429

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.