Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel SM Capacitors

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Hi Bill

Despite that capacitor on the pump looking to be in good condition, I replaced it anyway but that unfortunately did not get the pump started.

Colin Streeter
Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332
Brisbane

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 10:23 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Colin,

You have not stated the condition of the start/run capacitor on the water pump itself. That would be my first thing to check.

Let me know.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail

On Jan 9, 2017 8:20 AM, "SV Island Pearl II colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ben and Kent

Thanks, I have checked and replaced that small fuse in the box behind the generator before. That did not solve my problem at the time.

By the way that is a pretty dangerous box. The small little fuse looked so small that I was foolish disarmed enough to try to replace it whilst forgetting to turn off the shore power! Big mistake obviously as I got a shock big enough to throw me back off the generator I was leaning over and fortunately the earth safety switch worked. Stupid mistake and I should know better. Please anyone reading this, do not be fooled by the small size of that little fuse. The entire box is 230v not 24v!

Once I have replaced the capacitors tomorrow, and if it does not start, I will go straight back to that fuse box behind the generator......with much more caution this time!

Colin Streeter
Brisbane

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 8:23 PM, Ben Driver joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

Hi Colin
All three of my AC's shut down when salt water pump quit working.  It was a blown 5 Amp fuse in the AC control box behind the generator.

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM347
6S

On Jan 9, 2017, at 5:38 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

HI Colin,

The water pump should go on immediately when the AC unit is turned on.

If it does not , that is why the AC units shut down.

If you have replace the pump capacitor then I believe the problem is in the relay box.

There is a box port side behind the generator that has relays . when one AC unit is turned on the pump starts.

Each AC unit has a relay in the box.

I believe there is a fuse in that box. I believe the box is the problem.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: amelyachtowners@...m [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2017 3:36 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...m
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel SM Capacitors

Hi Eric

Got the capacitors today but no time yet to install and test. (For the record cost here in Australia for the 10UF was $20.00 and I found the best place to get them was from an Electric Motor rewinding company. The Frigo-boat distributor for QLD couldn't source these for us.)

When we tried to run the aircon before replacing the capacitors the water pump would not switch on although the pump turns freely with a crew driver and we replaced the pump capacitor too.

The new capacitors will be fitted tomorrow so will see if that solves the problem.

Colin Streeter, 

Brisbane

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 8:43 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

Hi Colin,

Was the AC water pump working when you turned on a unit?

If that doesn’t start the units will shut down in about 15 seconds..

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: amelyachtowners@...m [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 5:54 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...m
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel SM Capacitors

Hi all

Today I opened up all the 3 aircon units on Island Pearl II to take a closer look at the capacitators as after always working perfectly in the past, all three units developed the same problem at about the same time, ie. they would start then simply cut out after about 15 - 20 seconds after a click sound.

Interestingly after reading Gary's and Bill's posts on these some time back, and not getting the time to look at it properly till today, I opened up the units and in all three it was the 10UF capacitotors (located under the metal cover & cable tied to the larger 40UF units) that were blown.

As a matter of course I will purchase six of these right away so we have a spare on board for each aircon ahead of cruising north across the equator later this year. I will replace all three and assume that this will be the problem hopefully easily solved, however it troubles me that the exact same 10UF units blew on all three aircons...... hence my question to the group...

Why do you think all three 10UF capacitators would fail at the same time? Also, those who already replaced these (and I think the 10UF ones were also problematic on other boats in the forum) did the new ones run well for some time after, or should I expect that they will blow again soon? Lastly should one consider replacing the 10UF with perhaps a 14UF??? or is this unlikely to solve the issue and possibly introduce even more issues...?

Colin Streeter

Island Pearl II, Amel 53 # 332

Brisbane, Australia

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 12:12 AM, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone:

On my last trip I decided to check every capacitor on Liahona.  There are 21 of them that I know of:  5 each for each of the Amel original Climma AC units, 2 each for the 4th Climma AC I installed in the galley (by the way by far and away the best upgrade made to the boat), 2 on the Dessalitor HP pump, 1 each on the Dessalator BP (low pressure pump) and the Calpeda AC pump.  There are probably more that I have missed. 

I had to replace 7 of them due to either outright failure (2) or out of specification readings.  I'll post a file with a summary latter today of the specifications for all of these (assembled from actual replacements and or forum posts and in once case from Dessalator (as what they reported was different than what was actually on the original pump motor.

If anybody has knowledge of additional capacitors that I have missed please advise. 

Gary S. Silver

s/v Liahona 

Amel SM 2000 #335

Puerto Del Rey Marina - Puerto Rico

--

Colin Streeter

0411 016 445

--

Colin Streeter

0411 016 445

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.