Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Raw water manifold replacement

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

V,

There is no zinc on your Yanmar engine, but there is a small zinc on the Onan Generator.

Both the engine and the generator were connected to the Amel bonding system when the boat was manufactured. I believe that the reason that there is a zinc on the Onan is because Amel could not buy the Onan without a zinc.

The Onan zinc is located on the top and port-side back end of the Onan heat exchanger. It looks like a brass bolt. Refer to your manual for more info.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Vladimir Sonsev sonsev52@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

How did you attach zink to the raw water manifold?
I do not see zinks on the Yanmar or Onan.

Vladimir
SM#345

On Jan 9, 2017 10:30 AM, "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Don't forget about the zincs in the engine and generator... they are there for the same reason:  the zinc on the rudder is NOT going to protect anything inside the engine room.

The bonding serves two purposes: to drain off stray currents and protect underwater metals from galvanic corrosion with the zinc.  For parts up inside the engine room connected to the ocean by a hose the galvanic protection available from an external zinc is so close to zero it makes no nevermind, but the stray current protection is still really important. That's why the engine and generator zincs are so important to keep on top of seperate from the rudder zinc.

Worst case:  the zinc installed in the manifold dissolves faster than the rudder zinc.  But it is a piece of cake to replace.  And guess what?  If it dissolves quickly, that means it is needed!

It sure sounds to me like some of the original manifolds installed had some brazing issues that might have been helped by an installed zinc if they are failing in as little as 8 years.

Bill Kinney
SM#160  Harmonie
Rose Island, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@...m, wrote :

If you place a zinc on the manifold and also leave the manifold connected to the bonding system, that zinc will be the closest zinc to all items in the bonding system and will deteriorate before the rudder zincs.

Yes, it can't hurt, but I would not advise it if the manifold is connected to the bonding system.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
Sent from my tablet
+1832-380-4970 USA Voice Mail