Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Looking for info on early 80s Maramus

James Alton

Jacob,

   I bought Maramu #220 this year.  My wife and I love the boat.  I found that the handling was quite good along with the performance.  I was really expecting to give up a lot to have the protected cockpit but that does not seem to be the case.  Some of the US boats have 110V wiring added and if the boat you are looking at was modified for this, check to be sure that the watertight bulkheads were properly resealed.  This was one of the reasons we choose to buy overseas..to avoid a lot of previous modifications.  My boat has a different rig than the 83 you are looking at so I cannot comment much there.   A few of the Maramu’s have separation of the mizzen mast box from the forward face of the cabin.  This appears to be due to excessive mizzen rigging tension combined with the cutout in this compression member at the base for the engine hatch.   My boat does not have the problem.  Have you contacted Joel Potter?  I suspect that there is a good chance that he knows Pura Vida.  If you have any specific Maramu questions that I can help you with, let me know.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
Sardinia,  Italy

On Jan 16, 2017, at 1:39 PM, jacob jacob.champness@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all.

We're looking very seriously at a 1983 Maramu (Pura Vida, #124), in Stuart/Indiantown FL, USA.  Would anybody have any information they'd be willing to share on this vessel specifically or on similarly aged sisterships?  Anything good or bad?

Thanks in advance,
Jacob