Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dual/articulating whisker poles

Jacob Champness

Ok,  that's great input.  Thanks!

Has anyone ever retrofitted that setup on a Maramu that didn't have it originally?  I'd love to get a sense of how involved that would be.

Thanks again,
Jacob

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 6:42 AM Veit M veitm@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello:

We've sailed our boat for 5 years, and used the dual pole setup on pretty much every long run. Setup time 10 min for the poles each side, plus 10+ min for the second sail.
Used it all the way up to 30+ kn running up the Gulf Stream.
The setup is easy, once you got it, and creates a very stable, flat boat.

Absolutely loved it.
Cheers,
Veit
Ex-Atman SM215

On Jan 23, 2017, at 9:34 AM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

It's great Jacob!  Easier than a Spinnaker, you can sail as much as 20d or so off dead downhill, roll the two sails up together to reef quickly, or swing the ballooner over behind the Genoa if you have to turn up into the wind in a pinch.  When I bought Kristy she had a Spinnaker on board, but I've never used it.  It's hard to douse singlehanded, but not hard to put up.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
Panama cell: +507-61171896
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Jan 22, 2017, at 9:24 PM, jacob jacob.champness@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all.

Are the dual articulating whisker poles really awesome or not really all that useful?  We're looking at a couple Maramus-- one, from 1983, seem to have come before that was introduced and has only one pole and is lacking the framework in the shrouds.  The other, from 1986, has dual pole setup.  Is that a huge advantage, or no?  I've seen the Delos crew use them and it definitely looks like it would be great for a long downwind run, but I wonder what others think.

Thanks for you thoughts!
Jacob