Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Is a Monohull (AMEL) the right choice?

Symphony

Hi Eric,
Yes, they were in Simpson Bay for three weeks in January, now they are returned to Fort Lauderdale where they bought a lovely home last year. 

They looked for you and Kimberlite in the marina. :-)

Best wishes,
Richard

On Jan 25, 2017, at 1:57 AM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Richard,

Nice to see you on the site.

I miss seeing your daughter and grandkids in St Maarten.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:57 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Is a Monohull (AMEL) the right choice?

this is my first comment. I don't own an Amel - yet.  I know Eric and his Kimberlite and that was my first inkling that Amel was the boat I might cruise in.  Then i sailed on a new 55' Amel. Nice.

So I joined this list while consider selling my Tartan 4100 and buying an Amel.

I have crewed three times on 40-45' catamarans.  the benefits and problems of cats have been well-detailed here and elsewhere.  They are fantastic at anchor in the Bahamas.  They are not fantastic sailing in a full gale from Bermuda to Antigua.

But one thing that I had not considered until I spent a few good weeks on cats - a 45' cat has the equivalent waterline of a 90' monohull.  think about painting the bottom or scrubbing the water line by yourself and let it sink in to your mind. think about caring for the toe rail, cove stripe, etc.  90' feet is a lot.  90' is not retirement cruising. 

there is more than double the deck space on a 45' cat over a 55' monohull.  deck space is nice, but I found the wide cat deck spaces to be a situation of Diminishing Returns; I did not enjoy the boat 200% more, but I did have 250% more deck to clean, wax, maintain, etc.  Same for the wide open space in the salon and the cockpit.  I really could not use the space there, but I had to wipe the floor down often, especially when offshore - slippery and dangerous in a big swell.  it was much more wiping than on my Tartan monohull.  the open floor space did not increase my enjoyment enough to justify increasing my maintenance cleaning effort so much.

for maintenance equivalence you might consider comparing a 55' mono to a 25' multihull and then weigh the advantages of safety, comfort, speed, anchoring.  It was enough to put my wife and I off catamarans.   but mostly my wife and I missed the fantastic sounds and sensations that a monohull creates when it is sailing.  pure joy.

best wishes to all you cruisers,

Richard

Tartan 4100 in Milford Connecticut.

To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:10 AM
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Is a Monohull (AMEL) the right choice?

I did tons and tons of research before deciding Cat vs. mono.  My reasoning was bouncing back and for for several months but ultimately came down to a couple of safety considerations and a couple of financial ones.

The safety ones were Amel specific; stainless steel lifelines, water-tight compartments, center cockpit, hull-to-deck fusing and the rigging itself. Couldn't find any brands that were built the same as the Amel in those regards.

Financial considerations were resale and docking and fuel.  Resale is pretty much always good on the Amel, but I couldn't find a consistently true pattern on the Cats, except at the very high end.  Docking almost always costs 1.5x to 2x for a Cat because you take up two slips and with the benefit if two engines comes the fuel expense, increased maintenance and shortened range of running them.  

The cats are all over the monohulls for spaciousness and an easy-going ride in easy seas. It's true they are generally faster on the runs and faster under motor.  It's also true that (generally) the rigs are taller, the sails are higher off the water, and (as mentioned before) that comfortable rode goes away pretty dramatically in choppy water when one hull strikes a wave differently than the other one.

I guess I also hold the belief that, generically, you cant load a Cat like you can a monohull without the risk overstressing the structure.  That's an un-researched opinion, but I believe it to be true.

Of course, I'm going to vote for a monohull because I chose one and I want you to be like me :)  Joking aside; we've done 4 rally crossings and he cats all made it just fine.  It did seem as though they had some bigger 'adventures' than we did though.  It's a tough thing to quantify ... best let a bit of feeling into the equation as well; ... unless you're planning to sail solo; how does your most important crewmember/Admiral feel about it? 

Best of luck!  Regardless of how you decide, hope to see you cruising around some day.

Gary W

SM 209, Adagio

Fethiye, Turkey

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.