Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Insurance (2016/7) - Single handed coverage??

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Well said Bill
Danny

From: "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]"
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Thursday, 2 February 2017 3:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Insurance (2016/7) - Single handed coverage??

Colin,

A suggestion about insurance:  Be very careful about applying anecdotal information from other people about policy provisions and costs.  It is a VERY localized business because of very different local regulations, and also VERY dependent on the individual provisions of the policy.  This is one area you can not short circuit doing your own work shopping your exact situation.

Just by way of example: We have a policy with Pantaenius America specifically written for long distance cruising.  We have no single-hand sailing restriction, and we pay about half what other people have quoted as "the cost" of a Pantaenius policy.  Maybe that is because our boat is older and less valuable, maybe because we were careful about what we chose as our cruising region, or maybe because of our sailing experience and background, maybe all three. I know that if we insisted on coverage in the Caribbean during Hurricane season, our policy would be much more expensive.  We don't want to be in the Caribbean during Hurricane season, so it is nice to have the option to NOT pay for that coverage.

Certainly any policy that had a restriction to constantly being manned at anchor would immediately be off our list.  That is written by a company who either does not understand a cruising sailboat, or does not want that business, or is trying to weasel out of claims, or (my bet!) all of the above. In any case, that is not somebody I want to do business with.

Finally, don't take a policy "as-written."  If there are things that are unacceptable to you, go back to the broker and talk about them.  You'll find some of these things are negotiable, sometimes for a price, sometimes just for asking.

Bill Kinney
SM#160 Harmonie
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands