Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Motor Mount Replacement

Olivier Beaute

Good morning Dennis,

if your engine mounts are original, you should consider replacing them all.
Your drive train is not flexible. So, you need to disconnect it in order to replace the engine mounts.
If you have a PERKINS 4154, you have probably the specific engine mounts designed and made by AMEL.
These mounts are made of two square steel parts (one bolted into the timber supports bonded with the hull, the other one bolted through the engine steel cradle). These steel parts are probably not damaged but you need to get the rubber parts that are bolted into these parts. They are still available from AMEL.
If one of the steel parts is broken, a good mechanic workshop/machine shop will be able to make a new one.

Good luck

Olivier

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:14 PM, "sangaris@... [amelyachtowners]"

Hi Denis,
I should think so, although I've not done it on a Maramu. You may even be able to do it without disconnecting the drive train, or even the other motor mounts, relying on the flex in the coupling and motor mounts to give you enough wiggle room to slip in the new mount. Although being the aft mount, closest to the drive coupling may not allow it. Seems worth a go and you can always disconnect anything that prevents doing so. Maybe Airops Dave or other Maramu owners can give you more precise input.
Sounds like a fun project - enjoy!
Craig Briggs, SN#68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

My 34 year old Perkins has lost a motor mount and I've never replaced one.  I presume the engine has to be lifted.  The motor mount is port side aft, can I get away with disconnecting the drive train and lifting just the rear?

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121
Currently in St. Barts