R: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: replacing seal on the rudder

Giovanni TESTA

HI TO ALL.
many thanks for answers/suggestions
I used AMEL seals and the nut entered without any problem,
The leakage is from the 2 threads.
The problem is that now I have more leakage than before, after I replaced the seals and turned the nut 3 times for 1/6
How much water can enter if I remove the nut ?
Did you use same grease/paste
all the best
Giovanni

----Messaggio originale----
Da: amelyachtowners@...
Data: 8-feb-2017 22.04
A: <amelyachtowners@...>
Ogg: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: replacing seal on the rudder

----Messaggio originale----
Da: amelyachtowners@...
Data: 8-feb-2017 22.04
A: <amelyachtowners@...>
Ogg: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: replacing seal on the rudder

Buongiorno Giovanni,
Sounds like your rudder gland packing job wasn't done well the last time.
Yes it can be done in the water, but if your SM428 is like mine, 437, you can expect water to come through the rudder fitting as the stern of the boat sits lower in the water than the waterline indicates and thus the rudder gland is actually below the water surface.
The packing lengths should be cut with a very sharp knife at an angle so that the two opposing ends match up. 
The individual packings can be pushed / tapped into place using the same piece of PVC pipe you use for the C-drive seals. 
You need to tap them down quite hard so that you can refit the nylon nut easily. If you don't the nylon nut can be cross-threaded and then you really have a problem...ask me how I know !
Once the nylon nut is threaded, tighten it slowly, until the gland stops leaking, and then check it regularly and tighten 1/6th of a t urn as necessary to keep it dry.
Good luck
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.