Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Is a Monohull (AMEL) the right choice?

Porter McRoberts <portermcroberts@...>

Really appreciated Bill
For everything!
Great advice on everything.
We cannot really determine the time for the trip.
We've got 2 girls. One ready for college in 4. The other in 7. I'm voting for 7+ but then again I'm not old enough to retire. I've got to work for those college educations  we'll have to see how the crew does. That's the 2 year option that I hope never materializes!

We'll see. I think they'll all be blown away. Me too. And that will resolve any issue.

I've just joined the forum recently and can't imagine what it would be with out you already. Best of luck in any endeavor. And thanks again for always your great help.

Porter

On Feb 13, 2017, at 12:44 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Porter,

My opinions:

Windlass
Doesn't your 54 have two windlasses? We just sold BeBe, a SM #387. The single Lofranz windlass was in perfect condition. It had ben regularly maintained. During our 40,000 miles, the only time the second anchor got wet is when we "thought" the Wasi Bugel anchor was dragging...it wasn't. If you have a single windlass and plan a circumnavigation, I would stock common spare parts.

Solar
I think that enough solar is around 400 watts which should keep your battery bank of 12 batteries from being depleted during hours that you have sunlight. It would take about 800-1000 watts of solar and a a battery bank of at least 640 amps of 24VDC to be independent and comfortable, but there probably is not room for that. And, with 400 watts of solar you will find that you will run your generator about 1 to 2 hours every other day and at that time you can wash clothes and/or make water...and charge your batteries.

Autopilot
It is a fact that there is a 10% chance that you will lose autopilot function on an ocean crossing. If you have a single autopilot, invest in all of the spare components to replace any component failure. At the very least, buy used components on eBay, then sell them again when you have completed. The difference between purchase and sale should be considered "rent."

Length of Circumnavigation
We did it in 11 years and we sometimes felt like we should have spent more time. I will never understand people who do it in two years unless they want to get it over quickly...maybe they don't enjoy it? The enjoyment of a circumnavigation is meeting new people and experiencing new cultures...in fact, that was our reason and we visited 58 countries. If someone wants to sail a lot of miles in a hurry, they should sail the Atlantic or Pacific in a circle.

Good luck,

Bill
ex-BeBe 387
Currently Galveston, Texas

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I am so grateful for all the responses!
We sailed this past weekend on what we hope will be our new Amel 54. Loved it. What an adventure machine!
Thank you guys for your thoughtful and complete responses. I have no doubts nor does my beloved that we're making the right choice.

I do have a few other questions if you would bear them:

One windlass or 2?

How much solar is enough, how much too much? Is there ever too much?

Is one autopilot enough or is a backup the way to go?

The plan is a 4 year circumnavigation. Maybe 7? Maybe 2.

You guys are such a great crew and I really appreciate it.

Porter McRoberts.

On Feb 13, 2017, at 7:34 AM, stevect@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Just my two pence worth, i sailed back from Rio to Cape Town on a Leopard 40 , hit 50kt wind/storm for 18hrs surfing down waves at some hairy speeds, and i was impressed how she came through the storm , but as others mentioned anything above 15kts and she was slamming all the time, it was nice have to have the space but i would rather have been on an Monohull like an Amel, the older Robertson and Caine Leopards are a lot stronger, before they recived the Moorings/ Sunsail contracts.

As everyone says it is a personal choice, make a list of pro's and con's , want's and need's and what you can afford and can't afford, it is not an easy decsion as we are still searching for our dream yacht and the goal posts keep moving.

But if you decide on a cat i  suggest you look at the leopards.

South Africa is certianly value for money at the moment with the exchange rate.

On Wednesday, 1 February 2017, 22:19, "David Vogel dbv_au@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Porter,

Ahh, the dastardly debate - cat versus mono.  We faced this choice a few years back, before we even knew what an AMEL was . . . So you are well ahead of the curve.

Ours was a choice between 'conventional' mono versus cat.  So we - as mono sailors through and through - crewed on a Cat (Lagoon 420) trans-oceanic - through the Panama, Galapagos, French Polynesia - so as to find out first hand.  Low risk way to check it out.  We concluded, as others have reported:

CAT =
- hobby-horsing
- noisy and banging and shuddering in ocean seas, to the point of worrying about structural integrity, but this never proved to be a problem
- could not get used to not being able to 'feel' the boat under sail
- relying accordingly more on instrument to sail, rather than tell-tales and wind-on-the-cheeks

Positives of a cat: as said, privacy, spaciousness, manoeuvrability in tight quarters (when two engines running, otherwise . . . .  )

Speed under way was not an issue either way, as a priamry criteria for the kind of Boat - eithe cat OR mono - that we were consdering.

Ultimately, it was for us it the ability to 'feel" the boat under sail, which was the determining fator for cat vs mono.Our 'mission statement': prolonged remote-area and blue-water cruising, most often but not always short-handed, owners being a M+F couple of retiring years (not muscle-bound athletic types).  For good measure, the fact of only one propulsion engine to break - less complexity to worry about when things DO go wrong.  Having decided this, then the option for us was clear.  Mono.  And the mission then lead us to a sail-plan supporting ease of sail-handling (and flexibility / redundancy if/when something breaks).  = Ketch.  And solo watches = protected cockpit, requiring also (for the fatigue-management of the off-watch) ease of sail-handling, which meant powered primary sail-controls, with (preferably) designed-in manual redundancy.  Once we had established the functional criteria, this is lead us to discover the AMEL. The level of other 'domestic' aspects, dish-washer, washing machine, not so important, but nice as 'added bonus' once the decision was made.

As was most of the 'other stuff', but all of which concreted the wisdom of the decision.  We went to cruising forums (physical, in-person, not on-line) and searched/visited other boat brands/configurations to try to dislodge our choice of an AMEL but, simply, could not do so.  Only then, did we start to refine the age, equipment spec, and hone in on the vessel that we eventually bought 4 months back.

That is our story.  I know everyone has their own path, and prioritising what is important is a personal choice.  But your 'mission spec' - long-term blue water, short-handed, kids = safety is paramount, seems to be roughly the same.  My belief is that you can not do better than AMEL for this.  When/if, we decide to 'retire' to coastal/inshore cruising, then we figure that a cat may well be the answer. If so, then we figure that a well-maintained AMEL will hold her value more so than other 'plastic fanstatics' , but that is yet another story for a, hopefully, much later time.

Hope this helps you in your quest,

Blue skies,

David
Novice Boat Owner
PERIGEE, SM#396, Martinique
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017, 03:38, W Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Let me start by again thanking you for all your help along the way.

I’d set to purchasing an AMEL54  and am quite committed, researched the brand and boat for a long time now.

Recently a friend and long time sailor also professional captain of a 200’ private yacht commented after i showed him the AMEL 54:

Having lived on my own sailboat and worked for years on other owners sailboats, I highly recommend you looking into a Catamaran!  Like the one the listing broker has like a Lagoon 500!
You get twice the space, 2 engines, they are faster and have a shallow draft for anchoring in many places you will not get into with a mono-hull.  The salon and aft outside seating area are very roomy so you don't get cramped.  Mono-hull's you are always sleeping at a angle and cooking too.  I would never run one again just because of not being able to relax more like you can with a Cat hull.  The only down-side is that you usually need to be docked on the end or T-head of the marinas because of how much wider their beam is.    The best part of sailing is getting to the next destination and relaxing and enjoying the freedom of where you are.  The Cat-hull lets you stretch-out and really enjoy where you are with much more inside and outside space.
If you have not tried one, I think you should go charter for 2-3 days a Catamaran in the BVI's then a Mono-hull and see what you think!
You are about to spend a-lot of money and do a major life change.  I just don't want you to jump into it without trying all the options available. I have spent years and thousands of miles on Mono-hull sailboats and would never do it again with the great Catamaran options that are out there.

I am about to pull the trigger, am I making the right choice?
I was pretty certain i was until the above response.

Could you lend me your thoughts?

Were a family of four with plans for an around the world cruise for at least 4 years.
Am i making a mistake?  I am the kind of person who once he makes a decision then makes certain it's the right one and goes with it.

Its very much appreciated.

Thank you again Porter