Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Is a Monohull (AMEL) the right choice?

Porter McRoberts <portermcroberts@...>

Thanks Alexandre. Does seem fast doesn't it!

Anyone know the weight of a windlass more or less?

Anyone use both often?

Thanks agin
Porter

On Feb 13, 2017, at 12:42 PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Porter,

The Amel 54 I visited had 2 windlasses.
I don’t have solar, I don’t think you can get “too much”.
My SM2K has 2 auto-pilot drive (Rotary on the Wheel and Lineary on the rudder), so I would guess the 54 has 2 as well.
Now, there is only 1 computers (on the SM2K), so would be wise to have a spare.
4 year circumnavigation seems fast…
My trip is atypical because I have 2 businesses I manage from my boat, so I go very slow, but I try to visit everything. When I was in Dominican Republic, baots would arrive, then 2 days later leave… not visit anything… there was so much to visit there… same for Puerto Rico, another often skip place with lots to visit (Camuy cave, Arecibo observatory, rain forest, old town, fort, Bacardi distillery, etc.).

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Harbor View Marina, Tortola, BVI

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Is a Monohull (AMEL) the right choice?
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Monday, February 13, 2017, 11:04 AM

I am so grateful for all the responses!
 We sailed
this past weekend on what we hope will be our new Amel 54.
Loved it. What an adventure machine!  Thank you guys for your
thoughtful and complete responses. I have no doubts nor does
my beloved that we're making the right
choice.
I do have a few other
questions if you would bear them:
One windlass or
2?
How much solar is
enough, how much too much? Is there ever too much?
Is one autopilot enough
or is a backup the way to go?
The plan is a 4 year
circumnavigation. Maybe 7? Maybe 2.
You guys are such a
great crew and I really appreciate it.
Porter
McRoberts.

Sent
from my iPhone
On Feb 13,
2017, at 7:34 AM, stevect@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Just
my two pence worth, i sailed back from Rio to Cape Town on a
Leopard 40 , hit 50kt wind/storm for 18hrs surfing down
waves at some hairy speeds, and i was impressed how she came
through the storm , but as others mentioned anything above
15kts and she was slamming all the time, it was nice have to
have the space but i would rather have been on an Monohull
like an Amel, the older Robertson and Caine Leopards are a
lot stronger, before they recived the Moorings/ Sunsail
contracts.
As
everyone says it is a personal choice, make a list of
pro's and con's , want's and need's and what
you can afford and can't afford, it is not an easy
decsion as we are still searching for our dream yacht and
the goal posts keep moving.
But
if you decide on a cat i  suggest you look at the
leopards.
South
Africa is certianly value for money at the moment with the
exchange rate.

On Wednesday, 1
February 2017, 22:19, "David Vogel dbv_au@...
[amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Hi Porter,
Ahh, the
dastardly debate - cat versus mono.  We faced this choice a
few years back, before we even knew what an AMEL was . . .
So you are well ahead of the curve.
Ours was a choice between
'conventional' mono versus cat.  So we - as mono
sailors through and through - crewed on a Cat (Lagoon 420)
trans-oceanic - through the Panama, Galapagos, French
Polynesia - so as to find out first hand.  Low risk way to
check it out.  We concluded, as others have
reported:
CAT
= - hobby-horsing- noisy and banging
and shuddering in ocean seas, to the point of worrying about
structural integrity, but this never proved to be a
problem- could not get used to not being able to
'feel' the boat under sail- relying
accordingly more on instrument to sail, rather than
tell-tales and wind-on-the-cheeks
Positives of a cat: as said,
privacy, spaciousness, manoeuvrability in tight quarters
(when two engines running, otherwise . . . .
 )
Speed under way
was not an issue either way, as a priamry criteria for the
kind of Boat - eithe cat OR mono - that we were
consdering.
Ultimately, it was for us it the
ability to 'feel" the boat under sail, which was
the determining fator for cat vs mono.Our 'mission
statement': prolonged remote-area and blue-water
cruising, most often but not always short-handed, owners
being a M+F couple of retiring years (not muscle-bound
athletic types).  For good measure, the fact of only one
propulsion engine to break - less complexity to worry about
when things DO go wrong.  Having decided this, then the
option for us was clear.  Mono.  And the mission then lead
us to a sail-plan supporting ease of sail-handling (and
flexibility / redundancy if/when something breaks).  =
Ketch.  And solo watches = protected cockpit, requiring
also (for the fatigue-management of the off-watch) ease of
sail-handling, which meant powered primary sail-controls,
with (preferably) designed-in manual redundancy.  Once we
had established the functional criteria, this is lead us to
discover the AMEL. The level of other 'domestic'
aspects, dish-washer, washing machine, not so important, but
nice as 'added bonus' once the decision was
made.
As was most of
the 'other stuff', but all of which concreted the
wisdom of the decision.  We went to cruising forums
(physical, in-person, not on-line) and searched/visited
other boat brands/configurations to try to dislodge our
choice of an AMEL but, simply, could not do so.  Only then,
did we start to refine the age, equipment spec, and hone in
on the vessel that we eventually bought 4 months
back.
That is our
story.  I know everyone has their own path, and
prioritising what is important is a personal choice.  But
your 'mission spec' - long-term blue water,
short-handed, kids = safety is paramount, seems to be
roughly the same.  My belief is that you can not do better
than AMEL for this.  When/if, we decide to 'retire'
to coastal/inshore cruising, then we figure that a cat may
well be the answer. If so, then we figure that a
well-maintained AMEL will hold her value more so than other
'plastic fanstatics' , but that is yet another story
for a, hopefully, much later time.
Hope this helps you in your
quest,
Blue
skies,
DavidNovice Boat
OwnerPERIGEE, SM#396, MartiniqueSent from Yahoo Mail for
iPad

On
Tuesday, January 24, 2017, 03:38, W Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Let me
start by again thanking you for all your help along the
way.
I’d set to purchasing an AMEL54
 and am quite committed, researched the brand and boat for
a long time now.
Recently a friend and long time
sailor also professional captain of a 200’ private yacht
commented after i showed him the AMEL 54:
Having lived on my own
sailboat and worked for years on other owners sailboats, I
highly recommend you looking into a Catamaran!  Like the
one the listing broker has like a Lagoon 500!You get twice the space, 2 engines,
they are faster and have a shallow draft for anchoring in
many places you will not get into with a mono-hull.  The
salon and aft outside seating area are very roomy so you
don't get cramped.  Mono-hull's you are always
sleeping at a angle and cooking too.  I would never run one
again just because of not being able to relax more like you
can with a Cat hull.  The only down-side is that you
usually need to be docked on the end or T-head of the
marinas because of how much wider their beam is.    The
best part of sailing is getting to the next destination and
relaxing and enjoying the freedom of where you are.  The
Cat-hull lets you stretch-out and really enjoy where you are
with much more inside and outside space.  If you have not tried one, I think
you should go charter for 2-3 days a Catamaran in the
BVI's then a Mono-hull and see what you think!
 You are
about to spend a-lot of money and do a major life change.
 I just don't want you to jump into it without trying
all the options available. I have spent years and thousands
of miles on Mono-hull sailboats and would never do it again
with the great Catamaran options that are out
there.
I am about to pull the trigger, am I
making the right choice?I was pretty certain i was until the
above response.

Could you lend me your
thoughts?
Were a family of four with plans for
an around the world cruise for at least 4 years.
 Am i
making a mistake?  I am the kind of person who once he
makes a decision then makes certain it's the right one
and goes with it.
Its very much
appreciated.
Thank you again Porter