Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Is a Monohull (AMEL) the right choice?

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Porter,

My mate has 2 windlasses on his 54 and uses only his Rocna anchor… the other is a CQR.  (he never uses it).  Personally, I would not want the extra weight up the bows…

If minimum maintenance is done and the windlass is not abused constantly, it should be good for a very long time.

GL with your buy.

Jean-Pierre Germain,
Eleuthera, SM 007

On 14 Feb 2017, at 07:18, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I thought they all did too. Is first owner didn't want the weight. But to me doesn't seem particularly weighty. What could hey weigh 75-100 lbs?  Max?
I like the idea of redundancy but before I add the second windlass I'd though I'd test the concept against the crew. If really not necessary then I'd not add. What's the benefit of 2?
Thanks and fair winds!

On Feb 14, 2017, at 2:43 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Porter,

We have only one windlass on our Super Maramu.
We have never had two anchors off the bow, even though we carry a second anchor in the stbd fwd locker.
As Eric, one or two occasions we've had a stern anchor out...we have a Fortress for that.
Doesn't your Amel 54 have two windlasses ? I thought they all did unless yours is a VERY early one.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437