Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Smoking Gun...

hanspeter baettig

To all
Sorry I fogot something. Not to get the impression I'm too old to patricipate in this forum with technical questions . I bought Tamango 2 when I was 38 years old.
Hanspeter
Tamango 2
SM 16

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 20.02.2017 um 22:03 schrieb 'Hanspeter.baettig' hanspeter.baettig@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

To all and specially to the new Amel Owners
Do not what Jeff Spirt is telling us. Absolutly nonsens. Keep your engine in moderate motoring conditions. Not motoring days with full speed. Advice; independent which engine; after lets say 10 hours of motoring or more( 1800-2200 rmp) ,I incease the rmp to 2600-2800 ( my engine) for about 5-10 min. This is to avoide the turbo will stoke sometimes with carbon dust.   My engine is 27 years old, 3200 h, Perkins T80.
Also I do not understand that you have not excellent Volvo mecanicans in the East Cost of US. Volvo is one of the leaders in marine engines and not only with cars. ( I 'm not Swedish, I'm Swiss 😉)
Keep loving sailing
Hanspeter
SM Owner with the same boat since 1995
SM16
Tamango 2

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 20.02.2017 um 15:43 schrieb JEFFREY KRAUS jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Porter,
I am by no means an expert, but putting a combination of 30,000 some odd hours turning a combination of a Detroit 671, a cummins qsl 9 (electronic motor), and a cat 3406 aboard my various draggers, along with a 80hp ford lehman aboard my oyster barge, not counting Spirit with it's Volvo 110 d3, I've seen my share of black smoke.
Diesels are meant to be run, and run hard.
Best advise, run your boat like you're stealing it 15 minutes every day.
I normally see a puff of black smoke whenever I start up my dragger , especially in colder weather. Can't say I've seen it happen when I start up the Volvo aboard Spirit.
As a side note:
I had a Volvo guy aboard Spirit while in Charleston back in January, due to an electrical issue with the motor. He explained to me that the first production of the 110 d3 is somewhat of a mystery to many Volvo technicians. The motor is a bit of a hermaphrodite(sp?). The service manager himself came aboard to work on the motor. He located the short.
Good Luck!

Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 08:15 PM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

I should have added to the initial post. The day of the "puff" was in the middle of a multi month long sail for the owner. Just first start of that day.  The engine had been run every day for months.

Speaking c JP he confirms a quite knowledgeable Volvo diesel mechanic runs a Volvo aftermarket shop in the marina in la Marin in Martinique

I would imagine he'd have good insight.

Thanks again.

Porter

On Feb 19, 2017, at 5:05 PM, biohead@... [amelyachtowne rs] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Mark,
Agreed. I took Dave's concerns not as a diagnosis of cause but just noting an irregularity. Since then I have run both engines many times and not seen a repeat of the survey puff and sheen...so I think I am ok. Porter will need to look at the recent run time history of the boat to see if this is just an artifact of an unused vessel that will go away with more frequent activity.

Oh, and Mark, thank you for reccomending Dave. He was great.

Regards, John
Vent de Soleil SM37
Le Marin