Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Smoking Gun...

James Wendell <ms42phantom54@...>

Just to throw some additional "smoke" into this Volvo D3 engine discussion, I would like to throw in my 2-cents worth. About a year or so ago I experienced a complete failure of my D3-110, which I discussed extensively on this forum. No one could diagnose the problem, including the Volvo "experts." I was not a happy camper, since the engine had only 2500 hours or so. Upon taking the engine apart it appeared that salt water had been SLOWLY migrating into the exhaust system. The engine never flooded in the traditional sense.

Making a long story short, I replaced the engine with the latest iteration. It runs great now but we had a number of head-scratching issues during the install. No one knew how to hook up the electronics to the systems in my Amel 54. One issue in particular was the throttle interface. The old engine had a mechanical linkage, which we had to retain. Interfacing the new electronic throttle was a huge problem, and none of the local Volvo dealers could make it work. I had to have a licensed mechanic with a dealer code contact the Volvo service center in the US and we finally got someone who knew what to do. There were other problems as well that the local dealer should have fully versed in, but again it was a pain working with Volvo Penta. It took many months to get everything resolved.

I can say now that the engine is running very well and is really excellent. Reflecting on what others have said in this thread, my only concern is that everything is electronically controlled now. If I lose the computer I lose the engine..................completely. Not a comforting thought. I do however support the theory of running your engine "hard" for short periods to keep the carbon buildup to a minimum.

Jamie

s/v Phantom Amel 54 #044

On Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:26 PM, "JEFFREY KRAUS jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bob,
The later incarnations of the d3 110 are a more integrated (system wise) motor/electronic package. It's the early series that were somewhat difficult to diagnosis.
I see you're in a 55, so you fall into that category.
Good Luck.

Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 05:08 PM, Bob Grey renaissanceiii@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Guys as the owner of a 55 with the 110 D3, I do my own service, the dealer gave me the same advice about the motor when I said I usually only motor at 1500rpm, he said then I will glaze the bores and kill the turbo early. He also suggested full revs (2500) on my boat for short intervals to get the turbo and cylinders working at design heat and stresses.

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
Amel 55 #25
Melbourne Australia.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 21:46, JEFFREY KRAUS jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Bill,
Your explanation of the d3 110 was exactly what the service manager explained. As a result of the inability to identify faults, often the problems encountered by d3 owners can be a trial and error path that can lead to major expenses, frustrations, and ultimately, a lack of confidence in your propulsion system. Not good.
The service rep came down HIMSELF, as a curtisy (sp) to me, knowing that the d3 was a difficult animal to tame after shooting the crap for an hour about various diesel related bullcrap. He was aboard for 3 hours. The tech was there 3 times over 3 days and left scratching his head.
Only trying to make a point here.
Thanks for your input. You are a very intelligent and helpful man, and I appreciate  that input!

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 04:27 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hanspeter,

I agree with your advice regarding RPM...and, if age had anything to do with participating in this forum, I would have to quit.

The issue with Volvo mechanics completely understanding the newer D3-110 is a common issue worldwide. Even the Volvo test equipment will not identify system faults in some cases. From what I know about this issue, it seems as though the initial programming of the onboard engine control computer has issues, but more than that, with the introduction of this engine Volvo mechanics had to move from being diesel engine mechanics in a completely analog and mechanical world to being diesel mechanics with an engine controled by software in an onboard computer connected to sensors and also connected electronically to mechanical valves and gates controlling fuel, air, timing, etc. It is very understandable that some owners of the D3-110 give up and replace the engine.

From what I hear, this is improving, and newer model Volvos have not had all of the same problems. If I had to decide between the rebuilding of an older pre-computer controled diesel engine or buying a new computer controled engine, I would pay more to rebuild than the cost of new.

Also, not all D3-110 owners have suffered the "unsolved mysteries" that this engine has presented to others.

I hope this clears things up.

Best,

Bill
Ex-BeBe

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 3:03 PM, 'Hanspeter.baettig' hanspeter.baettig@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

To all and specially to the new Amel Owners
Do not what Jeff Spirt is telling us. Absolutly nonsens. Keep your engine in moderate motoring conditions. Not motoring days with full speed. Advice; independent which engine; after lets say 10 hours of motoring or more( 1800-2200 rmp) ,I incease the rmp to 2600-2800 ( my engine) for about 5-10 min. This is to avoide the turbo will stoke sometimes with carbon dust.   My engine is 27 years old, 3200 h, Perkins T80.
Also I do not understand that you have not excellent Volvo mecanicans in the East Cost of US. Volvo is one of the leaders in marine engines and not only with cars. ( I 'm not Swedish, I'm Swiss )
Keep loving sailing
Hanspeter
SM Owner with the same boat since 1995
SM16
Tamango 2

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 20.02.2017 um 15:43 schrieb JEFFREY KRAUS jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com>:

Porter,
I am by no means an expert, but putting a combination of 30,000 some odd hours turning a combination of a Detroit 671, a cummins qsl 9 (electronic motor), and a cat 3406 aboard my various draggers, along with a 80hp ford lehman aboard my oyster barge, not counting Spirit with it's Volvo 110 d3, I've seen my share of black smoke.
Diesels are meant to be run, and run hard.
Best advise, run your boat like you're stealing it 15 minutes every day.
I normally see a puff of black smoke whenever I start up my dragger , especially in colder weather. Can't say I've seen it happen when I start up the Volvo aboard Spirit.
As a side note:
I had a Volvo guy aboard Spirit while in Charleston back in January, due to an electrical issue with the motor. He explained to me that the first production of the 110 d3 is somewhat of a mystery to many Volvo technicians. The motor is a bit of a hermaphrodite(sp?). The service manager himself came aboard to work on the motor. He located the short.
Good Luck!

Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 08:15 PM, Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

I should have added to the initial post. The day of the "puff" was in the middle of a multi month long sail for the owner. Just first start of that day.  The engine had been run every day for months.

Speaking c JP he confirms a quite knowledgeable Volvo diesel mechanic runs a Volvo aftermarket shop in the marina in la Marin in Martinique

I would imagine he'd have good insight.

Thanks again.

Porter

On Feb 19, 2017, at 5:05 PM, biohead@... [amelyachtowne rs] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups. com> wrote:

Hi Mark,
Agreed. I took Dave's concerns not as a diagnosis of cause but just noting an irregularity. Since then I have run both engines many times and not seen a repeat of the survey puff and sheen...so I think I am ok. Porter will need to look at the recent run time history of the boat to see if this is just an artifact of an unused vessel that will go away with more frequent activity.

Oh, and Mark, thank you for reccomending Dave. He was great.

Regards, John
Vent de Soleil SM37
Le Marin