Nav Instruments on SM

Peter Jaeger

Hi everybody

Since one year I am refitting a older SM in La Rochelle (1989, SM #3).

I am quite happy, the old Lady is pretty again.

I installed a new Radar (Simrad 4G), an NAIS 400 and both are connected to a Lowrance HDS10 1 Gen. Works excellent. The B&G equippment is the original one, a Hydra 330, with 4 analog Instruments in the Cockpit (no NMEA), one Hydra330 FFD at the Chart table and one Hydra2 FFD, both none NMEA:

The sonic Speed is not working correctly anymore, the is Speed, but never more than 2 knots, regardless of the SOG on the GPS. Since there are no spares anymore for the Sonic Speed from B@G, Stephane from Pochon recommend a Ultra Sonic Speed Sensor from NKE, which should be compatible with my Hydra, good News but.... it is about 1000 Euro!

My dream is to have the Hydra upgraded to NMEA Protocoll, to have wind and Autopilot connected (also an old Autohelm ST700, Type300, Rotary Drive Type2).

What do you experienced guys recommend, shall I keep/upgrade my old Equipment (I already replaced the wind 321 when I bought my boat) or shall I replace the old ones with a Triton or Raymarine System. One reason why I am asking: I like the analoge Instruments in the Cockpit more than digital ones. But I am afraid that upgrading is much more expensive. Good advices are very wellcome.

Cheers

Peter

SY Wilson, SM#003, La Rochelle