Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Nav Instruments on SM

Peter Jaeger

Thank you Bill, that's realy briliant.
Now, my only speed indication is SOG from GPS and that is good enough. For the Ultra Sonic Speed from NKE, I would have to drill a new hole the get SOW. I think I am quite happy with SOG, even with some log-errors with strong curents. I will contact Tinley. What's the best contact, Sarah was her name?

If I want to upgrade my Hydra System to NMEA, would it be good enough to upgrade ONE FFD or do I have to do that with all components (2xFFD plus Processor)?

Peter

SY Wilson, SM#003, La Rochelle

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail für iPad

Am Montag, Februar 27, 2017, 23:26 schrieb 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] :

Peter,

It sounds like you may be looking for another option...

One option is to display SOG on the analog B&G cockpit gauges and on the Hydra FFD rather than SOW by installing a NMEA paddlewheel.

The NMEA Paddlewheel device connects to a data port on the GPS, reads the GPS NMEA sentences and finds SOG. It then translates that SOG into B&G language as SOW. If you are a sailing purest, SOW may be important to you if you must know how much current is impacting your SOG, but remember SOG is what really counts and gets you where you are going.

This solution may be the best for you. It is simple to install: 2 wires connect to 12VDC at the Hydra toggle switch, 2 wires connect to NMEA data OUT on your GPS and 2 wires connect to the B&G computer at the same place that sonic speed or paddlewheel connect.

NMEA Paddlewheel

NMEA Paddlewheel

The NMEA Paddlewheel converts NMEA from either a GPS or electromagnetic log to a paddlewheel output suitable for connecting directly to an instrument system, such as a B&G Hydra/Hercules.

Retail price £295.00

Bill
BeBe 387

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM, mallamok@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi everybody

Since one year I am refitting a older SM in La Rochelle (1989, SM #3).

I am quite happy, the old Lady is pretty again.

I installed a new Radar (Simrad 4G), an NAIS 400 and both are connected to a Lowrance HDS10 1 Gen. Works excellent. The B&G equippment is the original one, a Hydra 330, with 4 analog Instruments in the Cockpit (no NMEA), one Hydra330 FFD at the Chart table and one Hydra2 FFD, both none NMEA:

The sonic Speed is not working correctly anymore, the is Speed, but never more than 2 knots, regardless of the SOG on the GPS. Since there are no spares anymore for the Sonic Speed from B@G, Stephane from Pochon recommend a Ultra Sonic Speed Sensor from NKE, which should be compatible with my Hydra, good News but.... it is about 1000 Euro!

My dream is to have the Hydra upgraded to NMEA Protocoll, to have wind and Autopilot connected (also an old Autohelm ST700, Type300, Rotary Drive Type2).

What do you experienced guys recommend, shall I keep/upgrade my old Equipment (I already replaced the wind 321 when I bought my boat) or shall I replace the old ones with a Triton or Raymarine System. One reason why I am asking: I like the analoge Instruments in the Cockpit more than digital ones. But I am afraid that upgrading is much more expensive. Good advices are very wellcome.

Cheers

Peter

SY Wilson, SM#003, La Rochelle