Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] rust on inox cable

Craig Briggs

J-P is quite right that all these $$ products are acids and home brews can work fine. Alan mentioned Grunt which is phosphoric acid based, like Coca-Cola, which works well, too. Or sprinkle a potato with baking soda and rub the rust off. Products like Grunt and Marykate On & Off do have the advantage of having the acid in a gel base which keeps it from drying while it does its work. Or try slicing a lemon half way through and sticking it around the stay wire just above the swage overnight. Has the added advantage that if you have folks over for sun-downers they can add their own twists to their gin & tonics.
Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN#68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <jgermain@...> wrote :

Hello Gang,

FWIW, instead of paying silly prices for these named products, first try white vinegar.. if this does not work use Hydrocloric Acid (HCL) 20% 

RINSE THOROUGHLY AFTER USE… rust all gone

Fair winds,

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM007
Guadeloupe.

On 1 Mar 2017, at 03:49, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I think this is a common problem...

i have taken off all the white plastic on the rigging except where sheets rub against the shrouds, and then I have replaced the original stuff with a size larger, so it turns as the sheet  moves past it...Plastimo have a lot of different sizes available.
As for the corrosion at the swage ends, i have two products..one is INOX which the previous owner swore by and left on board, and the other is a NZ product called GRUNT.
They both work in a similar fashion. Paint it on, leave for about 15 minutes and then hose off with fresh water.
Result : rusty marks all gone
Grunt works well on gel coat too...for rusty marks..e.g. on deck at the bow where the anchor chain comes up.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.