Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Alternative for not working Sonic Speed sensors

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Willem,

If you want to keep the B&G Hydra 2000, I think you have two choices:

1.) Drill another hole and install a B&G Paddlewheel sensor. I do not think that you can find a compatible Speed and Depth Sensor that will replace the Depth Sensor and communicate to the B&G Hydra.

2.) Display SOG on the analog B&G cockpit gauges and on the Hydra FFD rather than SOW by installing a NMEA paddlewheel.

The NMEA Paddlewheel device connects to a data port on the GPS, reads the GPS NMEA sentences and finds SOG. It then translates that SOG into B&G language as SOW. If you are a sailing purest, SOW may be important to you if you must know how much current is impacting your SOG, but remember SOG is what really counts and gets you where you are going.

This solution may be the best for you. It is simple to install: 2 wires connect to 12VDC at the Hydra toggle switch, 2 wires connect to NMEA data OUT on your GPS and 2 wires connect to the B&G computer at the same place that sonic speed or paddlewheel connect.

NMEA Paddlewheel

NMEA Paddlewheel

The NMEA Paddlewheel converts NMEA from either a GPS or electromagnetic log to a paddlewheel output suitable for connecting directly to an instrument system, such as a B&G Hydra/Hercules.

Retail price £295.00

Best,

Bill
X-BeBe
Galveston Island

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:37 PM, kavanga@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi,

I am quite new to this group, but owned from 2002 to 2010 a Santorin sloop (#69). Now I am on my way buying a SM 2K from 2001. Also on this SM (I have seen already quite a few with the same problem) the Sonic Speed sensors are not functioning.

Which options do I have?

1. Buying a new sensor with paddle wheel that works with the Hydra 2000 system? Which brand and model do I need?

2. Buying a new sensor without moving parts. Which brand and model working with the Hydra 2000 system is recommended?

Willem J. Kroes