Starboard electric genoa winch got lazy

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Hello,

We started a trip about 30 hours ago and the starboard winch performed as usual.  It's been an uneventful trip, no rain, no waves, little humidity.  Have done a couple of easy tacks or jives all along the way in 6-12 knot winds.

Just now we jived and... found out the starboard electric winch makes about one turn and stops, even with no load.  It just stops as if one had taken one's hand off of the switch, no strain, no clicks.  Same behavior whether using the winch's adjacent switch or the pilot's panel switch.

The winch works manually when using a winch handle; all perfect.

Suggestions?  Comments?  In for a new Lewmar electric motor?

Cheerio,

Peregrinus

SM2K Nr. 350 (2002)

En route, Venice to Ortona (Italy)