Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Starboard electric genoa winch got lazy

Beaute Olivier

Hello Peregrinus,

the control box of your winch monitors the amperage drawn while using the winch.
If the motor draws too many amps, the control box cuts power.
You could run your winch (one turn) and check the amperage drawn on your battery monitor.
Then compare with the other winch.
If the amperage is the same, then the problem is in the control box.
If the wrong winch draws much more amps than the other one, the problem is in the motor or the coupling (not the winch as you told us you could manually use it without force).

Good luck

Olivier (I remember meeting you in Hyeres but I forgot your name, sorry)

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 6:37 PM, "svperegrinus@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you Bill,

Will test voltage tomorrow morning after we arrive.  Am terrified of attempting to remove the electric motor, as I remember Eric of Kimberlite mentioning his was very, very stuck due to not doing a periodic maintenance Lewmar told him is mandatory, yet which does not show on our Lewmar manual that came with the boats.  Of course this maintenance has never been done on Peregrinus!

Will post here on any follow-ups.

Cheerio,

SM2K N. 350
Underway, Venice to Ortona