Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Alternative for not working Sonic Speed sensors

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

All and especially Alan and Willem:

Before you buy an Airmar dual transducer, read further...

I realize that you are looking to install something that will fix the failure of your Sonic Speed sensors, but it is NOT as easy as you may think.

My understanding of the B&G Hydra 2000 system is that the components and transducers communicate with the B&G Hydra 2000 via B&G language rather than NMEA 0183. The FFD connected to the Hydra 2000 computer does have NMEA IN and NMEA OUT, but NMEA sentences that connect to the FFD via NMEA IN, do not go upstream to the Hydra computer where it would be needed for computations requiring SOW such as True Wind. Additionally, your analog SOW gauge connects to the B&G Hydra Computer, not the FFD.

I have discussed this with Bill Kinney, and at least a dozen other people, some that know much more than me, and like I said earlier, I truly believe there are only two ways to overcome the Sonic Speed sensor failure and keep everything else as Amel installed it: Drill a new hole, or buy the black box SOG to B&G SOW converter. Refer to my earlier email for details.

The Airmar sensor that Bill Kinney suggested can be used, but other changes in instrumentation are required...Again, if you want to maintain everything as Amel installed it and correct a Sonic Speed sensor failure, I believe you have only the two choices I suggested earlier.

I hope this clears this up. But, if anyone has discovered a way to use the Airmar Speed/Depth transducer without changing anything else in a B&G Hydra 2000, please chime in!

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Galveston Island
Sent using Google Fi
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mar 9, 2017 07:21, "Bill & Judy Rouse" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
Bill,

Did you connect that Airmar dual function thru-hull transducer to a B&G Hydra 2000 processor, or something else?

Bill
X-BeBe

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:43 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

There are several Airmar "Smart sensors" that are paddlewheels that transmitt NMEA1083 data that can be routed to the Hydra-if you are highly attached to it.

Like this:

Others are also available. Try looking at the Gemeco catalog to see what might work for you

What I did was use the old depth sounder hole to take a new speed sensor, (A CS4500 ultrasonic without moving parts) and installed a P79 in-hull transducer for depth data.  No new holes in the hull, and maintaining functionality.

Bill Kinney
SM #160 Harmonie
Punta Montalva, Puerto Rico

---In amelyachtowners@...m, wrote :

Willem,

If you want to keep the B&G Hydra 2000, I think you have two choices:

1.) Drill another hole and install a B&G Paddlewheel sensor. I do not think that you can find a compatible Speed and Depth Sensor that will replace the Depth Sensor and communicate to the B&G Hydra.

2.) Display SOG on the analog B&G cockpit gauges and on the Hydra FFD rather than SOW by installing a NMEA paddlewheel.

The NMEA Paddlewheel device connects to a data port on the GPS, reads the GPS NMEA sentences and finds SOG. It then translates that SOG into B&G language as SOW. If you are a sailing purest, SOW may be important to you if you must know how much current is impacting your SOG, but remember SOG is what really counts and gets you where you are going.

This solution may be the best for you. It is simple to install: 2 wires connect to 12VDC at the Hydra toggle switch, 2 wires connect to NMEA data OUT on your GPS and 2 wires connect to the B&G computer at the same place that sonic speed or paddlewheel connect.

NMEA Paddlewheel

NMEA Paddlewheel

The NMEA Paddlewheel converts NMEA from either a GPS or electromagnetic log to a paddlewheel output suitable for connecting directly to an instrument system, such as a B&G Hydra/Hercules.

Retail price £295.00

Best,

Bill
X-BeBe