Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Alternative for not working Sonic Speed sensors

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Alan, Willem, and other interested owners.

I spent most of the day talking to various B&G distributors about substituting the Airmar 4500 for a faulty Sonic Speed sensor. Almost half of them told me NO, but I received a YES from a few that I respect.

So, I am reversing myself. I now believe that the Airmar 4500 will work when wired directly to the Hydra 2000 computer's speed input.

I apologize if I misled anyone, but when I experienced Sonic Speed sensor failure on BeBe, I could not find anyone that told me that the 4500 would work. I understand that Airmar had quality issues the first few years of production and this may have been the reason that the respected B&G distributors told me it would not work with the Hydra 2000.

I exchanged emails with Alan Leslie. He has a Airmar 4500 on order and will report to the group when he receives it.

Best,

Bill
X-BeBe

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
Alan,

I am sure that there are several people that would like to know if your proposal works for a B&G Sonic Speed sensor replacement. Like I said earlier, everyone I spoke to said that it will not, but like several other things involving electronic instrumentation, I found that the majority can be wrong.

Be sure to report back.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Galveston Island
Sent using Google Fi
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mar 9, 2017 21:50, "divanz620@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

To Bill and Bill and Willem and anyone else following this thread....

What I proposed was not a dual speed/depth transducer, but an Airmar ultrasonic speed transducer CS4500, which will fit in the existing depth transducer housing, and which produces an analog output to a connection box that can connect directly to the ultrasonic speed connections on the Hydra computer (there are three connections for speed : sonic transducer, ultrasonic, paddlewheel).
Then as Bill Kinney suggested, I would use a P79 in hull depth transducer, that has the same output as the standard thru hull depth transducer, and connect that to the Hydra computer, in place of the B&G depth transducer.
No NMEA 0183, no NMEA 2000, just direct analog connections.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437