Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Super Maramu Dodger window replacement

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Bill and all:

I am preparing to replace my dodger windows due to crazing.  I measured the existing plexiglass (aka acrylic, perspex) and it is 10 mm thick (equivalent to 0.3937 inches thick.  The closest available here on the western side of the Atlantic is 3/8 ths inch thick = 0.375 inches thick.  Difference of almost 19 thousandths of an inch.  I don't have much choice but it worries me a bit that structurally it isn't as strong as the original.  Any thoughts?

Bill, as you used something other than clear plexiglass did you find that detrimental to visibility at night?  I have seen a few boats with the smoked plexiglass and they do look cool and I suspect are less susceptible to crazing.  What are folks thoughts on that?

What sealant have folks used?  I am seeing the Dow Corning 795 is recommended by many.  Thoughts on this?

Thanks for the thoughts on using gel coat to mask the edges of the plexiglass where sealant  interfaces.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Gary S. Silver    Amel Super Maramu 2000   Hull # 335  - Currently Puerto Del Rey Puerto Rico