Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Negative ground slave solenoid

eric freedman

James,

there are many discussions on this site about the benefits of an isolated ground.

Did you read my note to you about the black wire that all of the negative items on the engine are connected to?

Please review what I wrote and then if you have any questions please ask me. I became intimate with the engine wiring after spending 5 days hanging over and around the wiring. I believe you have a bad connection shorting the black wire to the block or something else. The problem is almost 100% in the wiring of the engine and not in the harness to the control panel.

Amel does not have a wiring diagram of what they did to the engine.

However do not remove the isolated ground on either engine, you will open up a big can of worms.

If you are electrically competent just go after the black wire that starts at the Valeo solenoid and check every connection. You might have to use a set of channel lock pliers to remove the wiring from under the turbo.

I will post other photos of the wiring to the photo section in a few minutes.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2017 9:26 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Negative ground slave solenoid

What was Amel’s thinking on the need for an isolated ground for the generator and 185 amp alternator?  It seems to confound local Yanmar techs as there are no Yanmar wiring diagrams available to them.  Their initial reaction is to want to take the isolated ground out somehow.

This problem started as a non-functioning tachometer.  The flywheel sensor ground is indeed bad, pointing as you say up the line on the wiring loom or somewhere else on the engine.  A jumper wire placed on the tach sensor ground connector to another engine ground point brought it to life.  All was well until the genset was started on passage.  Genset started, isolated ground started clicking rapidly, engine failed to start, isolated ground was open, top push button engaged, engine would start, but tach indicated interference. 

In my initial thought on the initial tach issue I was thinking a bad ignition switch, but since finding that the tach sensor ground wouldn’t work, it points to somewhere in the loom or on an engine connection in my mind.  Opening the wiring loom on the engine would be a big job for me, if it were in the loom from the engine to the helm, that would be another matter entirely.  Jumping the ground to get the tach working was too easy.  Obviously, there is a larger problem.  What do you think the likelihood of the ground short being in the engine wiring loom?  Could it be a bad sensor or relay in the same circuit?  Does a wiring diagram of this motor with the isolated ground shown exist?

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.