Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to remove Antifouling to Gellcoat)

Sv Garulfo

Hi Christian,

Do you have a contact for cryogenic blasting in west french med?

Thomas

Amel 54 #122
Cap d'Agde, France

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 at 17:01, christian alby calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

 we did clean the hull of our 1982 Maramu april 2016 using cryogenic blasting; quite common now in the industry in Europe.
- boat had been in water since april 2014, unused since april 2015, growing weeds by the bushel & great farm for oysters & mussels -

Cryogenic blasting uses CO2 gas to produce carbonic dry ice pellets blasted on the hull at low air pressure; no dirt or pollution and less agressive on gel coat resins.
cleaned all layers of antifouling paint which had been splattered on during ? ages (no record of maintenance when we boughht the boat 2016) ?
went down to gel coat layers & left them clean to survey the hull and dry out before laying on new protection (époxy coating) underwater.
reasonable price (Euros 2K Euros for a speedy process - took 4 hours (setting up, work & dismantling apparatus) to team of 2 to clean the bottom hull of the Maramu.

If available in your corner of the Oceans, I would recommend that you check industrial cleaning companies for the service - search companies or small operators working for metal, housing (front coatings), wood, stone cleaning using low pressure compressors.

Worth the cost when you gain another 10 to 15 years of trouble free hull & the extra speed from a clean & smooth hull.

fair winds & clean hulls

christian alby, Maramu Désirade VIII, Canet/roussillon

De : "Steve Lawson lawson911@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
À : amelyachtowners@...
Envoyé le : Lundi 16 janvier 2017 16h34
Objet : Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Sandblasting Good or Bad?(to remove Antifouling to Gellcoat)

I did my bottom a few years ago, and my current boat is a Dufour 39 ( working my way up to an Amel ). It's a dirty, rotten, time consuming job, that you may do once, but will never repeat. Sandblasting is old school, the latest and greatest is soda blasting, which does a great job, is environmentally friendly, and is easier on the hull than sandblasting.
Cheers

On Jan 16, 2017, at 9:31 AM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have been thinking I would like to get rid of all the layers of bottom paint. I was wondering about chemical stripers , if they work and how well. Seems like you may run the risk of scratching the gel coat scraping , is that a concern and how wide of a scraper would you use. I got a quote of almost $3000. to sandblast, more than I expected , being a one day job , but if it saves ten days of scraping ... Just wondering what others have done. Also wondering how one deals with the bottom of the keel only a couple of inches off the ground and resting on blocking.
Pat SM#123