Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] RE:[Amel Keel

drdavegoodman

I will be hauling out in November to redo bottom paint on a 1998 SM
#230. I have read the postings about the iron keel, hull, general
absence of blisters on Amel's. Joel's comments regarding taking
special care when preparing and painting the keel are duely noted.
When I purchased the boat in April this year, the surveyor recommended
removing the old layers of bottom paint prior to repainting, as past
uneven hard bottom paint application has resulted in an uneven
surface. Others have suggested that if I was going to do that, I
might as well apply an epoxy barrier coat prior to repainting. The
boat has been in the Caribbean its entire life. I plan to sail up the
East Coast of US next year, and also perhaps to Med. My questions
are: If the barrier coat between keel and hull is in good condition,
is any addtional barrier coat needed? And/or, regardless of the
condition of the barrier coat between keel and hull, is it a good idea
to put a barrier coat on the below waterline hull? What about use of
a primer? Any other thoughts on the matter?
Thanks
Dave
s/v Bel Ami
SM#230