Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Kind of Bow Thruster problem.
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Monday, April 10, 2017, 3:31 PM

I agree. I do not see any
excessive wear that would cause any of the gears you
photographed to slip.What was the condition of the two
pins that go through the two holes in the large steel gear
to hold it in place. I do not see those.

Bill
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at
3:16 PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
wrote:

Good morning Bill,

Thanks again for replying.

If you don’t mind, I would love if you could please look
at the 11 pictures.

http://nikimat.com/bow_
thruster_spin.html

8 months ago, I happened to order from Amel a spare tufnol
shaft with the small and large wheels.

Here are some side by side pictures.

There is an obvious wear on the teeth of old one, it is not
as smooth for the wheels to rotate against each other, but
could this is enough to slip when the electric motor is
turning???

The other option, as you mentioned, is the splines of the
shaft and electric motor.

On FB, Conn Williamson said that they didn’t look
stripped… quite frankly I don’t know anymore…

I would prefer some opinion before I start to rebuilt it…

Sincerely, Alexandre

SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

Island Water World Marina, Sint Maarten, NA

------------------------------ --------------

On Mon, 4/10/17, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@svbebe.com
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] New Kind of Bow Thruster
problem.

To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com>

Date: Monday, April 10, 2017, 11:16 AM

Alex,

It could spin at high speed and

torque, but not when you turn it by hand.

1. Spin because the pin is broken

2. Spin because gear inside foot has come

loose

3. Spin because the splines where the

motor shaft and the thruster shaft meet are stripped.

4. Spin because the gears inside the foot are

stripped

I would think the most

likely is #1 above...and the least likely is #4
above. Oh

yes, and it is normal to be able to turn the motor shaft
by

turning the propeller...It should feel like gears
turning

But, it could have been

floating plastic causing the prop to temporarily
cavitate

and the plastic has floated away.

Bill

RouseX-BeBe

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 1:51

PM, Alexandre Uster von Baar uster@rocketmail.com

[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.
com>

wrote:

Good afternoon,

Friday, I hear similar (high pitch) sound to a lost

propeller on the bow thruster (happened to me 1 year ago).

This morning I dive to inspect the bow thruster, I was

expecting to see the propeller missing, but it was on…

It felt strange that I could manually rotate the
propeller

in the water, I do not remember I could that before…
but

I could be wrong…

So, I thought may be something was disconnected or
broken

inside the foot of the bow thruster.

Retrieving it from the water, when I turn the propeller
it

turns the shaft (connected to the electric motor).

So what could be the cause of the electric motor turning
and

not the propeller?

Thanks in advance.