The more important issue what kind of paint is on the
bottom... be sure that what you plan to use is ok
with what is there.

Good luck
Richard SM 209

--- drdavegoodman <drdavegoodman@gmail.com> wrote:

I will be hauling out in November to redo bottom
paint on a 1998 SM
#230. I have read the postings about the iron keel,
hull, general
absence of blisters on Amel's. Joel's comments
regarding taking
special care when preparing and painting the keel
are duely noted.
When I purchased the boat in April this year, the
surveyor recommended
removing the old layers of bottom paint prior to
repainting, as past
uneven hard bottom paint application has resulted in
an uneven
surface. Others have suggested that if I was going
to do that, I
might as well apply an epoxy barrier coat prior to
repainting. The
boat has been in the Caribbean its entire life. I
plan to sail up the
East Coast of US next year, and also perhaps to Med.
My questions
are: If the barrier coat between keel and hull is
in good condition,
is any addtional barrier coat needed? And/or,
regardless of the
condition of the barrier coat between keel and hull,
is it a good idea
to put a barrier coat on the below waterline hull?
What about use of
a primer? Any other thoughts on the matter?
Thanks
Dave
s/v Bel Ami
SM#230