Bottom paint

drdavegoodman

Thank you all for your words of advice on bottom painting. I have
posted your messages below and started a new topic called "bottom paint."

To my knowlege, there are no blisters on the hull and the hull/keel
joint is sound with any evidence of damage. I have no intention of
removing the keel. The boat has 8 years of bottom paint which I plan
to sand off, carefully, without damaging the gel coat. My inquiry had
mostly to do with determining any group concensus about putting a
barrier coat on the hull.
The group's responses have been varied and helpful. I wonder if there
is any reason to put a barrier coat over the iron keel?? Limiting the
barrier coat to only the fiberglass section of the hull seems to make
sense, but this is a project I've never done before, hence the inquiry.
Dave

[[[ Dave,
When you ask "If the barrier coat between the keel and hull is in
good condition", and also note Joel's advice on refinishing the cast
iron keel, it sounds like you're removing the keel,(the only way to
see if there's barrier coat between the keel and hull).

Unless you've got some bad damage, this seems a pretty drastic and
unnecessary maintenance item. Also, I doubt that Amel would have used
a barrier coat on the underside of the fiberglass keel stub/water
tank sump.

OTOH, perhaps you are making a distinction between two sections of
the fiberglass hull, that is, between a.)the fiberglass hull
structure from the water line down to where it turns straight down on
the side of the keel stub/tank sump and b.)the fiberglass hull
structure from that turning point at the top of the keel stub down to
the cast iron shoe plate.

If so, it sound like you have observed barrier coat on b.) but not on
a.) - which seems a bit odd.

Be that as it may, if you're going to strip the entire fiberglass
hull (from waterline to the top of the cast iron keel, you'll
certainly be removing the barrier coat (if there is any on your
section b.)

With the fantastic history of Amels not blistering, you might simply
skip the barrier coat altogether. Of course, you'll want to
chemically stip, rather than sanding so you don't affect the
integrity of the gel coat. (If you did, adding a barrier case would
seem prudent, indeed.)

I stripped my boat down to bare fiberglass 8 years ago (same "caking"
of old paint you described), and did apply barrier coat plus bottom
paint with super results. Of course, whether it's the super quality
of Amel's fiberglass (I've read that'ol Henri was nicknamed
the "father of fiberglass" in France) - or the barrier coat that has
kept the blisters away is anybody's guess. I'd bet on the former,
but wearing both belts and suspenders is fine.

As to primer, just follow your paint manufacturer's instructions - as
Joel says, "Read the instructions and read 'em again."

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,
Craig, s/v Sangaris - Santorin #62

Back to top
Messages in this topic (16)
1b.
Re: Amel Keel - & Bottom Painting
Posted by: "BeyersWF" BeyersWF@aol.com crashbeyers
Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:02 pm (PST)
Folks, et al,

I have a 1982 Mango, hull N◦ 29 which I bought in 2000. I’m
the third owner after the original owner was a Greek and sailed
extensively in the Med. The second owner was a Brit who sailed all
over the Med and Atlantic, cruising and racing. Upon reaching the
Caribbean, he decided to sell her. I bought her in Ft. Lauderdale, NOT
FROM POTTER! After six months of waiting for a non-reply, I contacted
other brokers. I was chasing an Amel for two years.

Enough of that. The surveyor at the time of purchase said I had
micro-blisters and to use that [as well as a few other findings to
negotiate with]. But no big deal. He asked where I would be birthing
her. I said the Chesapeake Bay, Oh, he advised then that I would have
to address the blisters within three to five years. Yep, after four
years, I had to address them. I could get a non-guarantee job [gouging
out each blister and patching] or get a guaranteed job for a lot more
bucks. Long story short, I took the high dollar option since
“Windrush†is my home. They ground the outer layer of gel coat and
glass off the hull and replaced it. I visited her once a week to
caress her on the hard, so I observed the work. The keel bulb was not
removed and according to the marina, no work at the keel bulb and keel
interface was required. Blisters will happen! It is the nature of
glass and its environment over time. I also had a Max Prop added just
for fun while in the yard.

I always have two coats of bottom paint put on her and it lasts
for about two years here in the Bay. This may not be much help to you;
but, it gave me a venue to brag. If you are really, really concerned
about the keel bulb, you may want the keel bulb bolts checked for wear
and corrosion. The bolts will have to be removed one at a time to
evaluate their condition. I doubt that any problem will be discovered.
The Amels are built like M1-A1 Abrams tanks.

AE,