Re: Chlorine Removal with Carbon Filter

greatketch@...

One of the things you find is that different watermaker manufacturers have different worries about what will impact the membranes.  Strange, because they are all using the same FilmTec membranes.  Just as an example, Spectra (for example) worries a lot about biological fouling, and is rather blasé about chorine.  Dessalator is exactly the other way around.

A good industrial carbon block filter (probably not one you get at Home Depot!), used at its rated flow rate typically is specified at 90% removal of free Chlorine in one pass.  When I fill my tanks from the tap, I filter it through a carbon filter.  When the water goes comes out of the fresh water pumps, it runs through another filter.  The branch line that goes to the water maker has ANOTHER carbon filter in it. If you are counting, that's (theoretically) 99.9% removal of chlorine. I do not worry about chlorine getting into my membranes.

When I bought the boat the previous owner had the "no tap water in the tank" rule.  They had added a pressure reducer and plumbed a shore water fitting into the pressure side of the water system so they could use dock water without adding it to the tanks.  I never use this connection.

I have seen three boats sink at the dock because of broken freshwater hoses.  To take a boat with watertight bulkheads and very limited underwater through-hulls and then attach an infinite supply of water into the hull just seems the very antithesis of the Amel design philosophy. On those relatively rare times these days when we need to take on dock water I fill the tank when needed--then turn off the dock water and put the hose away until the next time.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Culebra, P.R