Re: rigg of santorin when should it be changed?

Craig Briggs

Hello Lars,
Perhaps there are some items that should only be repaired if broken (maybe an electronic instrument or similar?), but something that holds up your mast does not fit in that category. The fact that your rigger felt that part of your 24 year rigging needed changing strongly suggests that the rest is not far behind. With all due respect, this does sound like a case of penny wise and pound foolish. I do agree with his advice to remove the protective plastic.
Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN#68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <yachtsalvagny@...> wrote :

Hi Christoph

I have just had my 24 years old Santorin Ketch rig checked by a professionel rigger. He also was very impressed by the quality of everything on the boat and found only minor problems resulting in changing 5 wires and some screws.

He advised to get rid of all the protective plastic around wires and screws as they collect salt and advances corrosion.

So I would trust the rigger - as I have done - and only repair if broken and not just change everything.

Best regards
Lars
Santorin ketch #79, 1993 - Salvagny
Currently lying i Copenhagen, Denmark