Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Dinghy choices?

Germain Jean-Pierre <jgermain@...>

Hello Steve,

I bought the 9.5AL because it accepts a 15 HP Yamaha 2 Stroke and planes nicely 4 up.  It will also let you take the kids water skiing.

It fits nicely on the forward deck for long passages…. in spite of claims to the contrary, the solar gantry is not man enough to take the weight of the dinghy during heavy sea conditions.  (I have the dual cross braces installed and I consider these absolutely mandatory for safe dinghy carriage.)

I also installed heavy tie downs to attach the rib to the fore deck.

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera SM007

On 18 Apr 2017, at 18:15, steve_morrison@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

When we bought SM380 this fall, it was in need of a new dinghy, and as we prepare to move aboard in mid June, the time has come to make some decisions.  We are a family of four (girls 8&10) and plan to spend at least the next season in the Caribbean if not two seasons there before pushing through into the Pacific.  Riza promises that our aft arch will ship soon and so we will have aft davits onto which to pull up in the evenings at anchor.  I am looking at the AB Lamina series 10AL or 10UL.

My question is this - what are some of you using?  How big, how small, and how heavy.  Also, where do you stow it underway, and how - in a cradle, upside down, deflated...?  What are some of your experiences and what do you think are the most important considerations.

Thanks for your time,

Steve Morrison

SM 380 TouRai

Brunswick, Georgia