Re: Impeller Puller Tool

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Gary,
sorry I cannot contact you with your em. Please can you wright it
again, overall the second half after @ ?
I wish to order your magical tool !
all the best
Giovanni TESTA
s/v EUTIKIA SM 2000 n 428
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@...>
wrote:

Mike:

Thanks for your thoughts.

True a pair of right angle needle nose will work, (although those
pictured
are too long for clearance between the fuel tank and the pump
cavity on
my boat). The problem is getting a good grip with needle nose (due
to the
taper of the blades and the flex of the thin tapered blades), they
do not
lock in place, and in my hands they always seem to slip. I am not
in the
tool manufacturing business except as an aid to my fellow cruisers,
but
if I were then here are the features of my tool that I really like:
1. They are based on Vice Grip Pliers and thus are adjustable and
lock over
center with a vice like grip.
2. The blades are thick, non-bendable, and parallel for excellent
grip.
3. The blades have large serrations to grip the rubber of the
impeller
hub with less likelyhood of slipping.
4. The blades are at right angles to the Vice Grip handle and the
handles are short (approx 6 inches) so they have good clearance with
the fuel tank.
5. Since they lock in place you can even hammer on the pliers (best
done with a plastic faced hammer) to break a stubborn impeller free.

There is nothing magical about this tool. It is just something I
dreamed
up based on similar tool that I purchased years ago for joggeling
aircraft sheet metal edges.

Kind regards,

Gary Silver

"Mike Ondra" <mdondra@> wrote:

All you really need is a large right angle needle nose pliers.
Many types
and sizes available looking something like this.

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0006BIBBI/sr=1-58/
qid=1190931751/r
ef=dp_image_0/102-4066626-5993736?
ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi&qid=1190931751&sr=1-
58> 11in. 90 Degree Needle Nose Pliers