Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Increasing fuel capacity - Maramu #178

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Dennis,

One other consideration, and for what it is worth...although we carried extra fuel on our circumnavigation in a Super Maramu, the most we ever used on a passage was 405 liters and that was on a 1,000 mile passage from the Panama Canal to Galapagos. Our longest passage was 3 times that, with only about 250 liters used.

One person's experience is not statistically significant, but our fuel consumption experience was generally higher than the other cruisers we know.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 8:48 AM, dennis@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I appreciate and welcome everyones feedback on my issue with faux deck cracking and restoration/refurbishment.

My next query relates to increasing the internal fuel storage capacity - reason being that our future sailing plans will take us east from Malaysia through and into areas where extended motor/sailing may be required.

I understand the Perkins 60hp on Pegasus uses around 3 l/hr @ 5kts in calm seas ... 450 litres provides a theoretical range of 750nm (or 6 days), much less range if seas are boisterous or we are running away from a late season cyclone.

If we install a desalinator is it feasible to sacrifice around 400 litres of the water storage and reallocate it to diesel. I understand there is a tradeoff by running a generator to make water. Potential contamination ha s crossed my mind but as it stands if the current fuel tank fails, there'll be 450 litres of diesel sitting on top of the water storage tanks.Has anyone done this without resorting to jerry cans or containers?

As an afterthought, and probably a dumb question ... why aren't the fuel tanks on the Maramu positioned in the keel/bilge area?

Best regards

Dennis (Pegasus - Maramu #178)