Adding Bilge area pumping Capacity

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Every one;

I've always had a concern about keeping up with pumping out the bilge area water in case of any type of breach in the hull, thru hulls, etc. The current pump capacity would be overwhelmed by even a minor breach. Although the water tight bulkheads will prevent most events that would lead to sinking of other boats, flooding a compartment does lead to significant other damage that may be preventable, given added time to diagnose and correct any breaches.

There are several existing pumping capabilities in the engine room. They are engine raw water cooling, generator raw water cooling, anchor wash, refrigerator and A/C pumps. Some of these, e.g. the main engine raw water cooling, can pump an enormous amount of water at high RPMS. Also the amount of the pumping can be adjusted by adjustments in the main engine throttle setting.

One option I was looking at was to add an inlet to the raw water distribution manifold and use that as a secondary pickup (installed somewhere in the bilge area) with a shutoff valve. When needed, the main raw water thru hull can be closed, this added valve could be opened and any of the other pumps in the engine room could be turned on to add pumping capacity.

I would like to hear if others have put any added pumping capacity and all opinions about my proposed solution.

Thank you

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099