Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Adding Bilge area pumping Capacity

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Mohammad,

You should not worry at all. AND, you should not change what you have. I know that you know this and you must have had someone else ask you.

With the Amel watertight system, seawater will never make it to the engine room, unless the breach occurs in a very small area of about 8 square feet of the hull on the port side near the motor and generator exhaust and watermaker and gray water bilge outlet. The watertight storage locker on the Port side protects most of the port side engine room from a breach. Your engine room is watertight. And the gray water bilge pump is rated at 75L/minute, which is more water than your main engine pumps through its sea water pump, and more water than a fast flowing dock water hose. Additionally, you have another hand pump rated at 75L/minute.

Additionally, the saltwater pump on your engine could easily become air locked, or worse damaged because it would likely find air when sucking the water.

Don't do it. Think through what you have.

If you have a hull breach on the bow anywhere forward of the forward watertight bulkhead, close and batten the watertight door and seek port. The same thing anywhere Aft of that door to the Aft watertight door. Close and batten those doors and you are fine...you can finish crossing the ocean and in the next port seek repairs

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 1:56 PM, mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Every one;

I've always had a concern about keeping up with pumping out the bilge area water in case of any type of breach in the hull, thru hulls, etc. The current pump capacity would be overwhelmed by even a minor breach. Although the water tight bulkheads will prevent most events that would lead to sinking of other boats, flooding a compartment does lead to significant other damage that may be preventable, given added time to diagnose and correct any breaches.

There are several existing pumping capabilities in the engine room. They are engine raw water cooling, generator raw water cooling, anchor wash, refrigerator and A/C pumps. Some of these, e.g. the main engine raw water cooling, can pump an enormous amount of water at high RPMS. Also the amount of the pumping can be adjusted by adjustments in the main engine throttle setting.

One option I was looki ng at was to add an inlet to the raw water distribution manifold and use that as a secondary pickup (installed somewhere in the bilge area) with a shutoff valve. When needed, the main raw water thru hull can be closed, this added valve could be opened and any of the other pumps in the engine room could be turned on to add pumping capacity.

I would like to hear if others have put any added pumping capacity and all opinions about my proposed solution.

Thank you

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099