Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Windscreen Salt

John Clark

Hi Bill,
the previous owners of my boat fabricated a sponge on a stick apparatus for wiping the glass from inside the cockpit.  Not glamorous i agree, but is helps.  I am experimenting with the Starbright polish with the PTFE additive.  Will let you know.

                Regards,  John

Vent de Soleil SM 37
Great Bay, St. Maarten

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 9:30 AM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Harmonie is the first boat I have sailed where the primary view from the helm forward is in under the dodger and through the windows.  I do love the arrangement.  The canvas part of our dodger easily folds down in 5 seconds, instantly transforming the cockpit's "look and feel". It comes down on a quiet night sail to enjoy the stars, or when we are in a close quarters situation so I can stand and see all round.  But sometimes....

I am sure everyone here recognizes this scenario:  A beautiful sailing day, on a close reach or beat. It is sunny and warm.  Every few minutes a light spray is thrown up by the bow.  The only problem is whatever water hits the windscreen evaporates in a few seconds, leaving salt behind.  Within a half hour, you can't see ANYTHING.

Anybody have a favorite technique for reducing the problem short of sending crew out on deck hosing down with fresh water every 15 minutes?  We have had some very limited success with the Rain-X formulation specifically for plastic helping the water to run off, but not great.

Bill Kinney

SM#160, Harmonie

Greater St James Is, USVI.