From: amelyachtowners@...
[mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of amelliahona
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 11:46 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Air Conditioning Water Pump

Hi Dave:

Regarding:

"What is the expected life of the Clima AC components, if they
are used regularly in the tropics."

My boat was delivered July 1, 2001 and the ACs are all going
strong. We use them a lot and are located in the Caribbean.
The compressor start capacitors all melted at the three year
mark. This produced smoke in the boat causing us to think
we were on fire. Interestingly enough all three units had the
same failure within a couple of months of each other. I
went to metal can, higher voltage rated capacitors and have
had no further problem.

I have resealed the AC sea water pump once but just on
general prinicpals not due to any failure.

Regarding:

" Finally, I understand from reading other messages that some
have put a 4th AC unit in the galley area. Exactly where was
this unit placed. "

I have posted in the photos section some pictures of my
4th AC install. The saloon and especially the galley when cooking
were always too hot when in the tropics. The photos aren't very
good but they will give you a general idea. Getting the Climma
10,000 BTU unit was a bit of trick (freight of about US$ 800 to
Antigua) but my wife says this is the best thing we have done to
the boat and well worth it. If you deisre I can give you some
contact info related to Climma.

I glassed in a shelf in the bilge under the sink and
mounted the unit on it. It just barely fits. I had to raise the shelf
below the sink about 1/2 inch to gain clearance. I purchased a
high tech sealless inductively coupled water cooled pump for the
sea water rather than relying on the series plumbed Amel sea
water system. The waste water is plumbed in to the water maker
overboard thru hull. The 220 VAC panel breaker for the
"Compressor" was used for the power. Under the sill of the sink
cupboards is a fresh air cut out that allows air into the evaporator.
The sea water pump is in the engine compartment and receives
sea water from the former anchor wash down pump manifold. (
had previously done away with the sea water wash down system
thus freeing up a sea water manifold spot. I installed a new anchor
washdown pum that uses fresh water and put a hose bib with a
valve in the bow port locker so that I can wash down the whole
boat with fresh water (but that is another story). The sea water
in and out hoses penetrate the engine room bulkhead using some
compression fittings to maintain the water tight integrity.

Next I plumbed the output AC air to a "Y" fitting with a damper.
I ran one half of the air (using insulated 4 inch flexible ducting
beneath the dish washer and up to the galley area as depicted
in the photo section. The other half I routed behind and beneath
the refrigerator and companionway steps to be directed into the
starboard side guarterberth. By adjusting the damper you can
control the amount of AC air to each site.

The galley and saloon are always cool and comfortable, even
when cooking. The quaterbert usually gets too cold and the AC
never runs more than at about 1/2 capacity to achieve very
satisfactory cooling. From this I would guess that a 16 k BTU
unit would probably adequately cool the saloon but it is still a
matter of getting the air to the galley and quaterberth as you noted.

Total cost of materials etc about $4,400, Labor was about
25-30 man hours (myself and my wife Mary).

Again, this was an addition I would do again in a heartbeat, it
has added immeasurably to the enjoyment of the boat.

Regards.

Gary