Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Amel Transmission

Robin Cooter <robincooter@...>

Hi Mike,

I had a plastic bag around my prop and the vibration messed up the seals enough to let sea water in. Seals are easy enough to obtain from any reasonable engineering supplier if you can't wait for AMEL to send them to you, but go for the best quality. Do note the way round the seals are when you take the old ones off! I go with Richard - don't run it very much with water in the oil. The sooner you check and replace the better.

Robin Cooter,
Santorin 004 Belouga

Richard Piller <richard03801@...> wrote:
Hi Mike. I would suggest that you also think about
all new bearings along with your seals. Salt water
has done them NO GOOD....

I would also take a very close look at the
transmission case. If you hit that hard and got water
in the gear box the chances are that the case has been
cracked or is at least damaged... Seals normally fail
from wear not a prop hit.

In any case when you are having the transmission
servcied I'd also check the alignment with hte engine
and the prop drive to be sure they are aligned
properly. (less then .005" out of alignment when you
check with a dial indicator)

And second I would not let run the boat to far with
oil and water as at some point it will fail big time.

Good luck and fair winds...
Richard SM 209

--- michael grunstein <mgrunstein2002@...>
wrote:

Hello Group,
Here is a question for you. has anyone experienced
the
oil in the transmission (15W40) appearing like
milkshake? most probably caused by sea water leaking
into it. While motoring near Langkawi the prop hit a
heavy log. Prior to it, the oil looked clear. The
boat
will be hauled out in Rebak, Langkawi in December,
and
new seals on the shaft will be installed. I will
also
try to check the shaft for possible bending.
Can you comment on this or point to other causes.
Also, the seals and brass sleeve were replaced one
year earlier.

Thank you all, Michael Grunstein SM2000 #345

Don't let your dream ride pass you by. Make it a
reality with Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658