Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Frigoboat Fridge Door Seal for Super Maramu 2000

karkauai

Thank you, Bill K. Just what I need.  Can you explain the shims further?
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Apr 29, 2017, at 11:23 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

When we re-did our under-seat fridge gaskets, we used a product from MD Building, #1025, D-profile, 5/16 x 23/64.  We got it from Amazon.

It is important to note that with gaskets like this, there is a maximum specified compression that needs to be adhered to for best sealing and longest life.  If the gasket is over-compressed it might seem to seal better at first, but it quickly takes on a permanent "set" and is then no longer flexible enough to make a good seal.  For most hollow rubber gaskets, such as this this, maximum compression is 25% of the uncompressed thickness.
I have installed shims that take the weight of the lid so the gaskets do not get squeezed too much.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Charlotte Amalie, StT, USVI