Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Rub Rail on the SM

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

THIS IS MORE THAN YOU ASKED FOR, BUT...
I agree that dock staff around the world will know less than most Amel owners. But, they will experience the inexperienced crew more than a few times. They tend to take control all the time.

I believe the crew should communicate with dock crews in a firm and specific manner. There should be no question as to who is in charge. For instance when you hand them a line tell them precisely what to do. If a dock hand starts giving direction to one of the crew, the captain should tell the dock hand that the captain of the vessel gives direction to the boat's crew.

Obviously, when manoeuvering in a new-to-you marina, dock hands may have information that is unknown to the crew. If that is the case, your crew should either direct the dockhand to communicate with the captain, or relay the information to the captain. If dock hands are handed a line, the boat's crew should identify the line, like spring, stern, bow, and point to the cleat or bollard the crew expects it to be placed on, even if there is only one possibility. I also prefer that dock hands are handed a line with a loop to place over the cleat or bollard, and that the tightness of the line is adjusted on the boat...this is a problem if single-handed, and should not be done. I also believe your Amel should be stern-to if you have a working bow thruster...lots of reasons for this.

One last thing. We are always aware of wind when docking. Current can be your enemy, especially in a new-to-you marina. Be sure to pay attention to this, especially in riverside marinas. I saw a Super Maramu in a fairway come against the bows of berthed boats because he was unaware of a 5 knot current on his beam. He was experienced and more than halfway through his circumnavigation.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On May 7, 2017 07:24, "sangaris@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Agree totally about marina crew. They are a rub-rail's worst enemy and usually have little sense about boat handling. It's impossible to tell them not to snub the dock line on the cleat while the boat is moving, so we try never to hand over a line until the boat is stopped where we want it, although that is often met with shouting and wild gesticulations which we largely ignore.

Cheers, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

I'm thinking about putting a metal or rubber extrusion on the center part of the rub rail to keep the red part off of dock pilings.

Has anyone looked at this and what product did you use?

It seems like even with a perfect docking maneuver the marina crew insists on dragging us tight to the piling before we can position a fender.  I have fenderboards that take two or three fenders but they are tough to pre-position.  I'm thinking of rigging the fenderboards so there is a board keyed on top of the liferail so you only have to move the one thing (instead of two lines for the fenderboard and three fenders).

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477