Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Frigoboat Fridge Door Seal for Super Maramu 2000

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Kent,

Bill Kinney is right on, especially today when the polyurethane foam used in most D gasket seals has less polyurethane and more air in the product.

Also, I want to thank Bill Kinney because he just unknowingly solved the problem in placing a new gasket on the engine room hatch with the "D" gaskets available today. The issue is the D gaskets available in the US, maybe worldwide, will distort under the weight of the engine room hatch.

Here are two ideas that may work to avoid over-compressing the D gaskets.

1.) I noticed that Amel had placed about 6" of about 1/4" (8mm) solid round rubber line inside the D gasket on the aft lazzerette at the four corners. I am thinking that this would be a perfect solution as long as the rubber line is hard enough. I would slip it all the way through, not just the corners.

2.) I assume that you could use the same contact glue that you attach the new D gasket to attach several 2" long shims cut from starboard alongside the new D gasket. This may be perfect for those seat-lids inside the salon that can seriously compress under the weight of crew members sitting at the table.

I am hopping that Bill Kinney adds to this.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On May 7, 2017 07:48, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thank you, Bill K. Just what I need.  Can you explain the shims further?
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Apr 29, 2017, at 11:23 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

When we re-did our under-seat fridge gaskets, we used a product from MD Building, #1025, D-profile, 5/16 x 23/64.  We got it from Amazon.

It is important to note that with gaskets like this, there is a maximum specified compression that needs to be adhered to for best sealing and longest life.  If the gasket is over-compressed it might seem to seal better at first, but it quickly takes on a permanent "set" and is then no longer flexible enough to make a good seal.  For most hollow rubber gaskets, such as this this, maximum compression is 25% of the uncompressed thickness.
I have installed shims that take the weight of the lid so the gaskets do not get squeezed too much.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Charlotte Amalie, StT, USVI