Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Frigoboat Fridge Door Seal for Super Maramu 2000

karkauai

Thanks Bill, will do

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

On May 6, 2017, at 10:48 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

Correct. My mistake.

Now, to your issue: I think in 12 years I moved the latches twice. Remember if you run it as a fridge and have the thermostat set low enough that it doesn't freeze, you'll get a lot of condensate. Top opening fridges and freezers have less frost than front opening because every time you open the front opening unit, you spill and replace 90% of the air. This replaced air is what causes most of the frost build up. If you open the fridge half the number of times, you will cut the frost and the frost build up time in half.

I would use the dollar bill check on your salon top opening fridge/freezer just to see if it is sealed normally.

Then look closely at the lid closure with the heaviest crew member, first in the middle of the cushion, then on the ends of the cushion. That top will bend. I saw it open about 1/2" when unlatched, and my 6'5" 350 pound son sat in the middle of the cushion. Let me know how this all checks out.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On May 6, 2017 10:34, "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill.  I think your reply is what you did for the galley fridge??  My problem is with the two fridge/freezer boxes under the dinette seats.  These use two seals that stick to the boxes (or lids) with adhesive (not magnetic).  I have already moved the latches ~1/4inch down to tighten the seal, but am still getting a lot of condensation (and ice buildup at the seals when used as a freezer).

Just replacing the seals should do the trick if I can find the right seals.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243
Heading for the Chesapeake.

On Apr 28, 2017, at 5:47 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Kent,

I attempted to find a new magnetic fridge gasket, but found it nearly impossible. Had I sent the model number and serial number of the Frigoboat fridge to Coastal Climate Control (info"at"coastalclimatecontrol.com), they would have queried Frigoboat in Italy and possibly they could have ordered it.

Here is what I found that solved my issue and the same thing for a number of other owners...even if you get a new gasket, you will need to follow this procedure:
1. With the fridge door closed, use a dollar bill to determine the correct seal of the magnetic gasket. If the dollar bill can be moved freely anywhere between the gasket and the cabinet, the gasket is not sealing correctly.
2. Is the external door lock adjusted correctly and is it in the locked position?
3. Is the door aligned and adjusted correctly?
4. There are 3 bolts on each hinge, locking the hinge in place.
1. Are they tight?
5. Is the top of the door and side of the door parallel with the cabinet? This is the hardest thing to get right!
6. Is the door flat against the cabinet on all sides? i.e. the door being "pulled in" or "pushed out" by either hinge?

If the door is not parallel or totally flat on all 4 sides against the door frame:
1. Loosen all 6 bolts
2. Press the door evenly so that all 4 sides are against the frame and the top and sides of the door are parallel with the cabinet. HINT: use some blue masking tape on the cabinet where the gasket meets the frame (thanks to Rick Grimes)...this will make parallel visibility easier in determining that the door is in the right position.
7. Holding the door in position, tighten all 6 bolts. (This will test your patience)
8. Test again using a dollar bill.
9. Repeat the process if the dollar bill is loose anywhere between the gasket and the cabinet.

Also, you may want to completely remove the fridge to do this job and use a shop vac to clean the condenser fins, etc. If so, refer to this Photo Album:

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970
X-BeBe SM387

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

I need to replace the seals on my two fridge/freezer boxes under the dinette seats. Has anyone found a suitable replacement for these?
Thanks,
Kent
SM243
Kristy
Currently New Orleans, headed for St Michaels, Maryland.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
Panama cell: +507-61171896
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Apr 20, 2017, at 1:19 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

Ken,

[...]

    1. If the door is not parallel or totally flat on all 4 sides against the door frame:
      1. Loosen all 6 bolts
      2. Press the door evenly so that all 4 sides are against the frame and the top and sides of the door are parallel with the cabinet. HINT: use some blue masking tape on the cabinet where the gasket meets the frame (thanks to Rick Grimes)...this will make parallel visibility easier in determining that the door is in the right position.
  7. Holding the door in position, tighten all 6 bolts. (This will test your patience)
  8. Test again using a dollar bill.
  9. Repeat the process if the dollar bill is loose anywhere between the gasket and the cabinet.

CW Bill Rouse

Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:43 AM, sailingaquarius@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...om> wrote:

Hello all,

I just joined the group, and was looking for some help with the Frigoboat Fridge.  Has anyone found a replacement door seal for the standard Frigoboat Dood Seal?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Ken Powers

Aquarius, ASM2K Hull number 262