Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Rub Rail on the SM

James Alton

Bill,

    I agree with all of the points you made.  Because I purchased my Maramu in Italy, all of my dockings so far have been stern to which is new to me as is having a bow thruster.  Thanks to good conditions with no current, moderate to light crosswinds and perhaps most importantly the excellent handling of the boat with the thruster the dockings have worked out well so far.   I know that I have a lot more to learn about the boat and would like to learn the best techniques.   As a voice of experience, thanks for the tips and suggestions.

James

On May 7, 2017, at 11:58 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

James,

When reversing out of a berth (in a Maramu, Mango, SM, and 54) when you are bow-in, you have very limited control of the stern, especially in the beginning. With any crosswinds, you'll likely go in a direction different than you intended. Even trying to point the stern using the bow thruster is limited with the bow because of the side limitations of the slip. Of the Amels I mentioned above, and in the conditions above, the Maramu stands a better chance of reversing from a berth with crosswinds because of less windage.

And when stern in, bow out, the thruster steers the bow for tight turns in narrow fairways at even zero speed. As the speed increases and the berth is cleared by the stern, the rudder can turn the stern while the thruster steers the bow.

I mentioned crosswinds above. Remember crosswind gusts can come out of nowhere and when conditions are calm.

Although I know that most people don't do it, I always dropped the Bimini on a Super Maramu when manoeuvering into a berth...and with a dinghy on the mizzen deck, I always wanted to have crew tell me distance between the stern and dock. I preferred​ hand signals indicating distance in meters.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On May 7, 2017 9:12 AM, "James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,

   Good information on dealing with dockhands.   Could you elaborate on the reasons for having the boat stern to if you have working thruster?

James Alton
SV,  Sueno,  Maramu #220

On May 7, 2017, at 9:45 AM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

THIS IS MORE THAN YOU ASKED FOR, BUT...
I agree that dock staff around the world will know less than most Amel owners. But, they will experience the inexperienced crew more than a few times. They tend to take control all the time.

I believe the crew should communicate with dock crews in a firm and specific manner. There should be no question as to who is in charge. For instance when you hand them a line tell them precisely what to do. If a dock hand starts giving direction to one of the crew, the captain should tell the dock hand that the captain of the vessel gives direction to the boat's crew.

Obviously, when manoeuvering in a new-to-you marina, dock hands may have information that is u nknown to the crew. If that is the case, your crew should either direct the dockhand to communicate with the captain, or relay the information to the captain. If dock hands are handed a line, the boat's crew should identify the line, like spring, stern, bow, and point to the cleat or bollard the crew expects it to be placed on, even if there is only one possibility. I also prefer that dock hands are handed a line with a loop to place over the cleat or bollard, and that the tightness of the line is adjusted on the boat...this is a problem if single-handed, and should not be done. I also believe your Amel should be stern-to if you have a working bow thruster...lots of reasons for this.

One last thing. We are always aware of wind when docking. Current can be your enemy, especially in a new-to-you marina. Be sure to pay attention to this, especially in riverside marinas. I saw a Super Maramu in a fairway come against the bows of berthed boats because he was unaware of a 5 knot current on his beam. He was experienced and more than halfway through his circumnavigation.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On May 7, 2017 07:24, "sangaris@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Agree totally about marina crew. They are a rub-rail's worst enemy and usually have little sense about boat handling. It's impossible to tell them not to snub the dock line on the cleat while the boat is moving, so we try never to hand over a line until the boat is stopped where we want it, although that is often met with shouting and wild gesticulations which we largely ignore.

Cheers, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

I'm thinking about putting a metal or rubber extrusion on the center part of the rub rail to keep the red part off of dock pilings.

Has anyone looked at this and what product did you use?

It seems like even with a perfect docking maneuver the marina crew insists on dragging us tight to the piling before we can position a fender.  I have fenderboards that take two or three fenders but they are tough to pre-position.  I'm thinking of rigging the fenderboards so there is a board keyed on top of the liferail so you only have to move the one thing (instead of two lines for the fenderboard and three fenders).

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477