Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Creaking floor plate

John Clark

Hi Dean,
   I'm a new owner of an older SM.  One of the things I heard was that unlike other boats Amels don't flex and "creak."
During survey we did not note any creaking, but after moving aboard I noticed several.  All were traced to either lines stretching through the chocks,  think dock lines, anchor snubber; or were items moving as the boat rocked.  One such sound was just like an old pirate ship and it was coming from the bulkhead in aft passageway...turned out it was only the plastic button on a Hawaiian shirt rubbing on the wall.  Another was the liferaft rocking about 1/8" in its cradle inside the  portside locker.  All were traced to nonsubstantial issues.

In the battery well if the batteries aren't wedged in, they could be moving ever so slightly...or it could be a Hawaiian shirt.

If you are settling on this boat, make it a point that contract is contingent on surveyor signing off on the sound...and then get an Amel saavy surveyor.

I bet it will turn out to be nothing, but find it before you commit to purchase.

Regards,  John

John Clark
Vent de Soleil. SM 37
Great Bay, Sint Martin

On May 8, 2017 5:02 AM, "trifin@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi all,
We are the future owners of an Amel 54, we just don't yet know which one !

We have recently inspected a 54 which has a distinct creak coming from the floor plate in front of the battery compartment. We have not found creaky floors in any of the other 54's we've inspected.

Is this unusual? More importantly, could it be symptomatic of some underlying issue? Historical leaks from battery compartment maybe?

Many thanks
Dean