Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Frigoboat Fridge Door Seal for Super Maramu 2000

karkauai

Thank you again, Bill.  Makes perfect sense.  I'm on it!
Kent.

On May 8, 2017, at 8:30 AM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

My shims are really simple.  They are hard plastic furniture glides.  Exactly 1/4 inch thick, and with adhesive backs.  On the top opening cold boxes I put four on each long side and three across the short ends.  It is not a esthetically perfect solution, but it does the job.

If I had access to my shop, I would have run a continuous frame of wood or plastic 1/4" high to support the seat and allow it to compress the gasket 1/16" out of its total thickness of 5/16".  The brand I used specified 17 to 30% compression.  20% seemed like a good target!

There are of course gaskets, generally of solid "rubber", who can be squeezed as tightly as possible and seal better the tighter they get.  Those are typically not used where there are frequent open/close cycles, and especially not to seal large panels where getting even pressure all the way round is very difficult.  The "D-form" gaskets with hollow interiors are best for these applications, but they do not tolerate constant high compression.

The hard rubber bits that Bill R describes inserted into the deck hatch gasket I believe are not there to seal, but rather they act as the shim, supporting the weight of the hatch so the rest of the gasket is compressed within tolerance.  A typically very clever solution that would be very easy to miss in a retrofit. Then you wonder why the new gasket has a short lifespan compared to the original no matter how tightly you dog it down.

I don't have an answer for the engine room hatch, I haven't studied it carefully yet.  But you can be sure there is something there that Amel did to make the gasket work.

Bill Kinney
SM160 Harmonie
Road Town, Tortola, BVI