Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bottom Paint Question [2 Attachments]

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Chuck,

For some reason, at least 1 coat of bottom paint is flaking off the other coats...it looks like two coats are flaking. It appears to me from the photos that prudent thing to do is to remove all of the existing bottom paint. There are several methods that would be acceptable...hand scraping followed by sanding, or machine peeling. Either of these would be followed by sanding prep, then a coat of primer approved for your new antifouling paint. For saltwater use, I recommend Micron66, reapplied every two years. There are other good antifouling materials, but generally, you get what you pay for. Some antifouling material requires cleaning the bottom 2 or 3 times each year...Micron66 does not.

There are spots of the epoxy coating separating from the cast iron keel...this needs to be addressed and probably this Super Maramu is the age that it makes sense to remove all of the epoxy on the keel and re-apply it. The methodology of the process is very important.

I do not understand whether or not your hull will be in freshwater again, but if it will be in freshwater again, Micron66 is not applicable because Micron66 will become inert if exposed to freshwater. If you can find Micron77, it can be used in either fresh or saltwater.

I hope this helps you get a general idea of the decisions you need to make and the processes available to you. If you want to discuss this further, maybe give me a call at the number below.

Good luck on your search for a new-to-you Amel. Be sure to contact Joel Potter in Ft. Lauderdale in your search for an Amel. jfpottercys"at"att.net

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 10:06 AM, clacey9@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from clacey9@... [amelyachtowners] included below]

Hi All,

Perspective buyer here. Looked at a boat on the hard and fresh water is her home (6 months in 6 months out). Will move to salt water in the near future. I know I need to paint but I also know there is saltwater/freshwater specific paints. Tried to query the conversations tab here for an answer (a little quirky to get around). Has anyone been in this situation? I would like to avoid two bottom jobs in two years if possible. Take a look at the pics. I value your opinions.

Thx
Chuck