Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Haulout - Storage Checklists

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Dan,

I was hoping that someone would answer that has actually left a boat on the hard in Trinidad. I have not, but if I were, I would do the following:
  1. I would protect the boat from UV. Custom-made plastic shrink-covers are available, but if you plan to do this for a number of seasons, maybe you should check the cost of having a storage cover made.
  2. Humidity is an issue in Trinidad, and even though your boat is a dry one, I think that I would rent a window-type AC made for the companionway. Peakes will put you in touch with someone who can help you with this. Last year, I saw a SM that had one at the companionway with a piece of plywood cut to fill in the rest of the area and with a padlock hasp attached to lock it all. The AC will take care of removing the humidity. As you know there is a dehumidifier on BeBe. This will not work unattended because if power is lost, it will not automatically restart, someone has to press the start button.
  3. I would buy some pesticide and liberally spray everything that touches the dirt (stands & braces). The deadlier the product, the better. The biggest issue on a SM at Peaks may be ants or even termites...ask Peaks about this.
  4. Store the dinghy (locked) on deck and protect it from UV. The outboard should be stored lying on its side on a well-padded salon table...there might be some gasoline inside the engine, so be prepared and drain it first...check the manual. It should only be laid on only one side...check the manual as I have forgotten which side. An alternate place to store it would be the cockpit lazarette or the port side locker where you can lower it standing up.
  5. I would store all sails & sheets and all bimini pieces inside the boat. There is a special cockpit storage panel made out of the same material as the bimini to use to protect the cockpit controls. It is under the aft berth in a bag of the same material.
  6. Hire Dwayne or someone to check on the boat once a week and send you an email...Peaks may offer this service. It is not uncommon for vessels to become unplugged while on the hard. Have the person check for power and that the AC is working. Have them visually check the interior and battery monitor.
  7. If I were you, I would make sure that the water tank is full and leave the water maker automatic rinsing system ON. The timer is set to rinse for 4 minutes, twice a week.
  8. Trinidad can have some serious rain storms. Be sure the deck drains freely, especially the stbd side around the SSB antenna. In fact, I would probably remove the SSB antenna from the deck and plug the screw holes with RTV until you return, then remount it. The issue is that deck drainage can be severely restricted in this area and if the aft lazarette is not completely secure or sealed, you may get rain water inside the lazarette.
I hope that this helps you.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 10:47 AM, 'dancarlson367@...' dancarlson367@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi all,   We will be hauling our SM out at the end of the month for 5 months of storage in Trinidad.

We would love to see checklists and hear tips from others who have a good annual routine.

Some key questions for me are:
- temp and humidity control
- UV protection
- pest control
- dinghy storage
- storage of sails and other canvas items

Thanks for any experiences you can share.

Best regards, Dan Carlson
sv BeBe, SM 387